CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 16, 2009

explanation of yesterday

Warning: If you're feeling sensitive, you may find this post offensive, so please feel free to skip. I would never want to offend or hurt any fellow TTC'ers.

As I mentioned, yesterday was a strange day. One of the most stressful days of my life.

First, for whatever reason, I wildly underestimated the time needed to get to the clinic. I don't know why I did this, since I know perfectly well how long it takes to get there. So we dashed to make it there on time.

B/w was over quickly. I went to the bathroom to 'feed the cervix.' Ran into the IVF nurse, who asked how I was doing. I said, "Terrible, nervous. Tested positive. These things can disappear so fast." She said, "Testing + is better than -. Hang in there - I'll phone you this afternoon." Me: "Yep, ok."

DH and I got breakfast, walked around the downtown for a while, and sat in a park. Finally I said, "Ok, I have to know - let's go home." While waiting at Union, I dialled my answering machine: no message. I was dying inside.

Fell asleep on the bus and wrenched my neck and back out of place again - hurray. Am walking like a robot.

Got home - DH put the message on speakerphone, so we heard it at the same time. 113, which is fine. Come in again on Tuesday.

I was shellshocked. I alternated between sadness and numbness. I cried and cried. DH freaked out: if everything is good, why is she upset? He hugged me. I walked to the bedroom, laid down on my bed and cried. DH didn't know what to do with me, and said sadly, "I can't wait until this ends because I want the real you back."

I don't know what's wrong with me. IF has really done a number on my brain and my heart. I don't know where I could find the old me. Don't get me wrong: I know I am thrilled.

So DH and I went grocery shopping and had dinner. I had a bath to try loosening up my back. Holy cow, it's bad - I needed help to get out of the tub.

Then DH put on music - sad songs - that I knew was a sign he wasn't doing well, either. He was missing his dad, who died a year and a half ago. Said he wants to name a boy after his dad (we already agreed a long time ago to do that). Gradually, with the help of a lot of beer, he was ok again (well, considering it's the loss of a beloved parent, as ok as it can be).

He started playing party songs and dancing all around. The dance party lasted for 2 hours, while I lay in agony on the couch, yet I laughed. lol

Then we got halfway through Benjamin Button - which is really good so far, incidentally - before he crashed and wiggled his way to bed. He had far too much to drink, which makes him really hilarious.

And so here we are. I'm in shock.

For the record: I officially HATE at-home pregnancy tests, and especially the double-liners. I hated them before, but now it's official. The sticks didn't get darker even though my HCG was obviously rising.

___________

Symptom update:

Thursday: lower abdomen cramps and ovaries started hurting again; cried over dumb things on TV; loads of watery cm; occasional 'shots' in the bbs.

Overnight: sore gums (huh?) and woke up in the middle of the night with a stabbing af-like cramp.

Friday: crampy abdomen and sore ovaries; a little dizzy and sensitive to smells' watery cm; occasional electrical 'sparks' in the bbs; cried over a stupid wedding show (and for the record, I think weddings are stupid).

But do not feel pregnant.

Thank you for the congratulations. I'm beyond grateful.

10 comments:

..al said...

Good Morning!


I was all set with a pillow to bite-into, since you mentioned that this could be offending...but I havr to report that nothing offensive lay here...it is just the rambling of a woman who is aware of how fast the ice can melt, or the gauze get torn....

I want you to take it a bit easy...and don't worry about feeling or not feeling preggers....coz you are!!!!

Be Good!

Hope DH gets his wish - a baby that can carry the beloved name of his father...

Take Care!

..al said...

Because infertility is wasted on the wrong people!!!?????

Did I notice it for the first time, or is it a new tag line?

..al said...

OHW....Thanks for answering my Q on Hark...


BTW, I am crazy about chocolates...the darker the better!~

the misfit said...

Hello,

I see you don't have an email address linked (well, I'm still finding my way around blogger, maybe I missed it), so I'm responding here - I don't expect you to post this, it's just a message for you. I thought when I wrote my comment that it might easily be misunderstood - I like to think I'm hilarious, but tone of voice adds a lot. So I shouldn't have sent it, but at that time I thought I was being clear. My meaning was that you explained your beta was 113, but I have noooooo idea what that means. I mean, I wouldn't know what progesterone or estrogen numbers mean either, because I haven't had those results yet; FSH I've had so I know. I was watching all day to see whether the test would be positive. I can totally understand how you'd be blunt affect (as I put it) - in fact, your response, as described today, is pretty much exactly what I expect to feel if I ever end up there. I just couldn't tell from the _tone_ of your post whether you got a + or a - at the clinic (the other commenters clued me in of course), and the number was mysterious too. So I was trying to tease - "Hey, you left us in the dark, some of us can't speak pregnancy yet." The tone of my comment (hmm, also unintelligible) was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Every few years, I learn again the limits of electronic communication, and I always hope that the next time I overestimate what I can convey, I don't hurt anyone or, heaven forbid, lose a friend. I wasn't trying to judge you at all, and I'm so sorry I made it appear so. I was delighted to learn you're pregnant and I'll keep you and the baby in my prayers. Of course, I'll understand if you don't want me to pester you any more - just say the word.

Anonymous said...

I am beyond happy for you!! Totally not offended by your honest response. ((HUGE HUGS)) and smiles from ear to ear. Congrats!

Randi

Anonymous said...

Hon, you don't have to "feel" pregnant. It doesn't change the facts. I didn't feel pregnant till Aspen was pushing through my cervix. lol I am praying that the LONG weekend goes quickly.

Hoping you caught DH on video, btw! I'd like to see him shake his groove thang!


Much love,

Ursula

Hela said...

fantastic news :))))))))

Michele said...

IF takes so much out of you... It really isnt fair. I'm sending you positive vibes and hoping this is all going to be great! Come Tuesday, when you see a higher number, I hope that you feel a little better. I know it's hard, but you can do it! Positive thoughts to your little one!!!

Jackie said...

"I don't know what's wrong with me. IF has really done a number on my brain and my heart. I don't know where I could find the old me."
That line struck me. I don't know if this is how you mean it, and I apologize if it isn't, but I know that infertility becomes part of your identity after a while. Sure it's not the identity we want, but it's part of you just the same. After this long, I know that I've forgotten what it's like to NOT be considered infertile. I'm not saying I "totally understand" your mindset, but I know what it's like to see negative tests and AF for so long that it almost becomes expected.
Either way, of course you're excited! I'm truly happy for you, congrats!! :)

loribeth said...

I know nothing about beta numbers, but sounds like you're pg to me! : ) Enjoy!