CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

4dp5dt, and thinking about 'fertile' vs 'infertile'

Implications of suddenly being rendered 'fertile'

I've been thinking about my current fertility status: Am I really an infertile?

From Day 1 of TTC, more than seven years ago, I was considered the infertile one. For my first RE, it seemed like an easy diagnosis, I guess. I had PCOS. I was charting, though, and while it was clear to me that I was only anovulatory very, very rarely (i.e., never), the RE looked only at one month's worth of temp-taking - which happened to be the one anovulatory chart I had - and said that I was anovulatory, period (no pun intended). He didn't look at any of my ovulatory charts. DH did two basic semen analyses, and though his results were deemed 'on the low side' of the numbers, no further testing was done.

So I worked to make myself fertile. I was already eating well and exercising, so I wasn't sure what else I could do, but I kept trying. I added supplements. I kept reducing bad carbs. I did the prescribed Clomid, even though I didn't see how it was going to help. Nothing. It did help to lengthen my short-ish luteal phase, though, which was a good thing.

I pushed and pushed for more diagnostic tests for myself: HSG, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy. Bloodwork was great (I had lowered my LH:FSH from 78:4 to the normal 1:1, all without medication). Everything was considered normal, even excellent. Ovaries actually didn't look too bad. I was ovulating on my own every 30-38 days, and sustaining a 14-day luteal phase.

I kept wondering: if I'm ovulating and everything is normal, why am I not pregnant without medical intervention? After 3 or 4 years of trying on our own, I kept thinking that I should have ended up with something.

New clinic. RE says that I likely have a subtle hormone imbalance that we'll work to correct, and I should end up pregnant through injects and IUIs. I said hesitantly that I didn't think she'd find anything. She disagreed. I was right.

The IUI showed severe male factor. The first IVF confirmed this fact. Out of 11 mature (good quality) eggs, only 5 fertilized (whereas 80% fertilization is usually the norm), 2 died on Day 3, and I got pregnant with two 'average' Day 3-ers, but miscarried. We had wanted to try going to blast, but the clinic didn't recommend it, for obvious reasons. The RE recommended donor sperm.

Now, our new RE - who is fabulous, in case I haven't said that often enough - ordered every male factor test I requested, plus more. And it seems that, though DH's swimmers are defunct in every which way on the exterior, the interior seems to be okay. Then, with the ongoing help of Coast Reproductive Male Fertility vitamins, distilled fish oil supplements, a produce-based organic diet, exercise, little alcohol and lots of water - as well as (I think) a better lab and better embryologist - we got six embryos grown to blasts.

Lesson #1 for me: you get what you pay for. This current RE cost more, but we definitely got our money's worth. DH says he won't even consider moving the frozens elsewhere: when we use them for FET, we'll fly back to the current clinic.

Lesson #2 for me: be more assertive. I'm too much of a pushover. My #1 regret in TTC-ing is that I didn't push the issue regarding testing THE OTHER HALF OF THE BABY-MAKING TEAM. A simple sperm wash done immediately - and which costs only around $200 - would have revealed the male factor, thereby saving us years of heartache, and years of me beating myself up for not being 'fertile.'

So am I fertile? Or am I infertile? I guess it depends on how those terms are defined. I mean, I still have no baby in my arms. And, thanks to doctors' misdiagnoses, I've considered myself infertile for so long, that's how I feel inside. I do not identify with 'fertiles.' Yet, really, clinically speaking, I am not infertile. All my functions work; I just ovulate a few days later than what's considered 'normal.' If I were baby-making with someone who had no fertility problems, I know I would have been knocked up a long time ago. (I don't know if I could carry a pregnancy, obviously, since we haven't gotten that far yet, but I do know in my heart that I wouldn't have a problem getting pregnant to begin with.)

But the idea of being fertile is new knowledge for me, and hard to wrap my head around. I am trying, though, to reconcile myself to my fertile body.

I guess, though - looking at this issue from another perspective - that this is a partnership, and so if my DH is infertile, so am I. It really sucks. But thank goodness we finally found a proper doctor who really wants to help.

6 comments:

Michele said...

After nearly a decade of trying to get pregnant unsuccessfully, I wore the "infertile" badge with shame and heartbreak. Finding our RE and getting a proper diagnosis (PCOS) and the reasons why I wasnt ovulating (not enough natural progesterone or estrogen to cause a cycle) was a huge boost to my anguish. With medications, I ovulate like everyone else and have gotten pregnant several times. I ask myself too, am I still infertile becaues I need help? Or am I fertile because I can do this? I dont know the answer...

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this post and experience.

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Pregnancy & Fertility Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff

..al said...

Forgive my alternative line of thinking.... Are you fertile or is your mid telling you to deem your fertile?

Whatever it is, I think you are footsteps away from touching the first milestone.... Go for it!!!

Well, as S put it on my blog....I have gone from asshat doctor to asshat doctor to finally reach those people I am seeing today...and I am so glad that I found them ultimately...

I am glad that you are in good hands....money could be recovered, time can never be....

..al said...

Jeez....OHW, don't fall for this Wellsphere sham! Please!!!

..al said...

"is your mind telling you to deem your fertile?"

Got any tips from the Urban Dictionary?

one-hit_wonder said...

Michele: Yeah, I wouldn't know what to think if I were in your position, either. Definitions are so subjective.

Wise: I really don't know. I just feel that I'm supposed to re-embrace myself, even though that sounds cheesy!
Thx for the heads-up on Wellsphere. I didn't know what to think. What do you know about it? (Perhaps I should look for a tip from the good old Urban Dictionary!)