Two unexpected references to pregnancies on Facebook (of course), and I feel as though my life is over again. I haven’t even really been on FB for the last 2 or 3 months (or whenever it was that I started complaining about this issue). But I was blindsided:
A) A good friend posted some of her paintings on her FB, and she wanted DH and me to look at them. They were well done. But her comment on one of them, a semi-erotic picture of a man and a woman holding each other, was that she’d painted it in response to finding out that she had conceived. (Of course, the baby was unplanned, her DH was mad about the pregnancy at first, blah blah, of course.)
B) An old friend sent me a message asking me how things were going, and I answered. Then I saw on his FB that he and his wife were expecting. Why on earth wouldn’t he tell us that, rather than letting us find out from reading his FB wall? (They do not know about our infertility.) I’m not going to congratulate them.
So now I’m sitting on my bed, mad and sad and crying. I hate Facebook. And we have to move back home this summer, and I just know that my brother and SIL there will be expecting soon, too – they’ve been married for 2.5 years, so that’s around the right time for them to announce #1 – and that I’ll have to face her belly all the time, and their beautiful babies, and everyone else’s pregnancies and children. I will be the only one without. I’ll be stuck at my crappy job, always going home to an empty house, and resenting DH for not letting me have something I really want.
Why why why does this happen to everyone IRL (in real life) and not to me? Why?
I am trying very hard to convince myself that it will be ok. I will be able to write often, I’ll have time to read, to keep my figure, to buy and make amazing clothes, to travel every spring break and summer, to have a beautiful house (well, if we ever pay off all this IF debt), to get a Ph.D., to retire at an early age, to have an abundance of time. But will this sorrow ever leave? With such an absence, it’s hard to feel joy.
ETA: Plus my painter-friend just wrote in my FB about my beautiful new necklace that it is "not toddler-friendly." What the hell, and why would I care? Why do fertile women talk to me as though I have children??????!!!!!! Even a SIL in DH's family, who has suffered 4 miscarriages and two stillbirths, commented to me on how my sleep problems would end with children, since "you won't be able to stay a nightowl for long." Excuse me? She KNOWS about our infertility, and she's been through the wringer with it herself, so WHY say that to me??
Monday, March 2, 2009
unhappy again - BLAH!
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 9:41 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I JUST wrote about facebook pregnancy b.s.
Hate it.
Really, that is what's been the most difficult for me. I've found that of all the support I've gotten -- blogging has been the most powerful and supportive tool.
Xo
P
Yeah, yeah, Facebook can sometimes be a snare. I find that people don't tell you anymore about pregnancy or other things; they just post -- right in your face and you're expected to congratulate or say something. Formality and politesness are out the door. I hope I never fall victim to that method or maybe I'll do as others. Maybe it's the new way of informing the world about sensitive issues. Ummm?
Your other SIL (the one who has some IF experience), really takes the cake. But you let her know, that she can really stuff it down her own throat!
I do not Facebook. I have an account there, and there are friends on it, but I am comfortable with the FB interface.
I do use Orkut, and keep on getting fills of 'how cute is my baby'? I have to admit, I adore watching the babies, and how 20 pictures of the same baby in the same pose get posted there!
I was actually going to post a follow up comment to the "not toddler friendly" thing. I was thinking "well good thing you don't have to limit your jewelery choices to toddler friendly" or "good thing you don't have a toddler" But I didn't want to start a fight with someone I don't even know. That comment made me really angry!
Post a Comment