CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 22, 2009

show & tell

I just read a poem that made me cry.


I-am-in-the-slow
read-ers-group-that-is
all-I-am-in-I
hate-it.

~from Allan Ahlberg’s 1983 poetry collection, Please Mrs. Butler


As a voracious reader, poet, Language Arts teacher, and holder of an an honours degree in English lit ... well, what can I say? I live in fear of manifesting such instructional tyranny over a student - I don't ever want to be the cause of a child's biblio-hatred.

Ironically, I'm married to a guy who would've said these words when he was in school. My heart hurts for him.

Sorry for a sad(ish) show & tell, but I really wanted to share this!

You can see what the rest of the class is doing over here.

11 comments:

..al said...

Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
One Hit Wonder,
You belong in the zoo!


Beat that!

..al said...

And...you did it! Wow! You actually linked!

Britt said...

Ohhh, that breaks my heart. I have heard kids say things like that before ex: "I'm not good at this, I am in the low group" ...so sad!

My husband would have said the same thing :(

..al said...

This is in response to the comments you left on Raves, Rants and Sidekicks...

I am so sad that you had to take that crap from on of your bro-in-law. I hope you gave him a fitting reply.

Outsourced is a nice movie, especially if you want to spend an afternoon watching a movie, that does not prey much on intellect. It is not exactly a pinnacle production and it has its awkward moments, but there are some points that the audience can connect. I think everybody is looking for a 'Holiday in Goa'. Some memory that one can pleasantly cling to for the rest of their lives...and what else but love, however short it is.

It was very nice (not totally unusual for me) to read about what you wrote on my V-day post. Yes, every time something happens to what we hold on as our traditions, there is a bone in us which twitches. I do not celebrate, but I do not have any problems in watching others do. I however, am not able to digest some of the stupid things said in the favour of banishing this day, and the pseudo-preservist outlook that they have.

Precious to read about your sparrow story. It remains in our psyche, forever.

Anonymous said...

I would have said that in school for sure :(

I still read awfully slowly .. but I do enjoy it!

By rights I shouldn't be writing a blog either as I have to actually have someone transcribe all my posts and add punctuation / correct spelling .. but I do.

I wish kids were not classifed this way ..kinda makes me sad I don't really think children should be encouraged to have low expectations for themselves..

Ok I'll stop now before this turns into a rant lol .. Loved the poem!

Kristin said...

How sad!

Liv said...

My husband would have been that kid too. He recalls an elementary school teacher telling him that he'd never graduate from high school.

I told him to send her an invite to his masters graduation. HA!

Beautiful Mess said...

Awww that's a touching poem.

Billy said...

Sad.

Anonymous said...

How lucky for your students that you have such a heart for teaching ALL of them, not just the gifted ones. I think we can all relate to that poem if we reworded it to say:

I am in the no
pregnancy group that is
all I am in
I hate it.

Smiling said...

what a good thing to share.. thank you!