CD 3 RE appointment did not go well.
First, it was awkward. I don't know the protocol of where to go and when to do things and how to do them. So I misunderstood how to check in, and where to go sit to wait, and what kind of u/s was being performed (I've only ever had transvaginal ones for CD3, but here they do external ones, too, but I didn't know that), etc. I felt like a total ignorant newbie-to-Clomid.
Then, for the transvaginal u/s, the lab tech expected me to strip in front of her, which I also hated. I grew up in a modest culture, so that's just not something I'm used to (though I did become accustomed to showering nude in an open room when I lived in Europe, but that's another story...), especially when I'm menstruating heavily. Ultrasound itself - hated it (I always feel like I'm getting raped, plus I was still bleeding hard, so it was gross). I was also expected to get dressed in front of the lab tech, which (again) I hated because I needed a tampon immediately, but couldn't do that with her in the room, so I was mortified, plus got blood on my underwear. Yay. Great. And I was summarily dismissed, with no words about what was going on.
So I approached the secretary and said I didn't understand what was going on. Was I supposed to wait for a nurse or a doctor? Go home? Was my bcp script going to be mailed to me? What, what, what?
So then the IVF nurse took over, and she tells me that I have a massive cyst on my right ovary. 5x6x7 cm (approximately). The tech couldn't see if any follicles on that ovary because everything was obscured by the cyst. She says that hopefully the bcp will shrink it, and if not, the RE will want to aspirate it. Fine. Good. She explained things very well.
I mentioned to her that I was very uncomfortable with the undressing/dressing situation, and that arrangements would have to be made about it - I need some privacy before the dildo cam gets wedged up there - so she's circulating a note re: that. As if anyone will remember or care, but whatever.
Then came home to the phone message from the IVF nurse saying that although estrogen, FSH, etc. were fine, the doctor says he wants to drain my cyst, and it'll cost $500.
What? Does it have to be aspirated? I thought that we were going to see, first, if the bcp would shrink it!? And why doesn't OHIP pay for it, anyway? I do not have $500 on hand to pay for this. I am a student and as such am not exactly rolling in dough. Especially since I'm still paying off December's FET, our plane tickets home, and my conference costs in the U.S. All of my government-funded support over the last 2 years has gone to pay for infertility treatments. It sucks and I hate it. We're so far behind on our bills and we shouldn't be: DH earns a decent wage and I have had 2 major fellowships, plus we do not live extravagantly. This all sucks so much.
So now I'm really upset. I feel like I don't want to go through with any of this because I hate it so much. I can't stand the invasive ultrasounds, nurses and lab techs who talk to me as though I'm an idiot, the drain on my time, the drain on my emotions, etc. I dread all of it: wondering how many follies will develop, the horrible egg retrieval, wondering if DH will have enough normal sperm, wondering if fertilization will happen, wondering if anything will survive at least a few days, and if we make it far enough, enduring the long, long two week wait.
And I still don't know how to justify spending 13-15000 dollars on this. If it fails, what on earth am I going to do? We'll be paying it back for ages. Yes, I know money's not everything, but we worked damn long and hard for it, and it's not as though we're upper-class people with money to burn. DH just wants his normal pleasures after working hard - hockey, golf, video games, movies, etc. - but we are having a tough time financing even those kinds of things because everything is going for infertility treatments, organic food, vitamins, etc. I've basically stopped spending money in the past year, except for my fashion habit, but I've even cut far back on that, too (e.g., did not go shopping today even though I wanted to). I am so SICK AND TIRED of all my financial, physical, emotional, and spiritual resources being directed to the black hole of infertile nothingness.
And how am I going to get up off my knees this time if it doesn't work? I'm seriously afraid of what might happen.
But what will happen if I don't go through with it?
Which path has the fewest regrets?
Friday, March 20, 2009
not good
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 7:18 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Sorry for the shitty appointment. I'd also be wondering why they need to drain this cyst, when it's not even apparently producing estrogen or causing a problem aside from making things on that side hard to scan. Why not just rescan you after a couple weeks on the pill to see what it's doing? It's a big one, but I could swear I've had ones that were 4cm develop towards the end of my first Gonal-F cycle last July, and by mid-Aug (I did a natural cycle that month), they were gone.
I'd think that if Dr H wants $500 from you to drain the thing, he ought to at least talk to you in person (at least over the phone) to explain why it needs aspiration. And why the pill won't do the trick. GRRR!
Thank God I couldn't care less about dropping my drawers in front of a female u/s tech (not sure if I'd be quite as blase with a man). I guess a couple months in the coed naked saunas in Finland at age 21 took any shame right out of me. It's definitely much worse on the CD3 U/S though when I'm bleeding like a stuck pig. I've always got a pantiliner on anyhow since I always spring a leak, so I just run to the washroom asap afterwards to fix things up.
All my yearly exams while living in Germany consisted of me stripping the top half off behind a curtain and then waltzing out for the breast exam, then putting my shirt back on and stripping from the waist down to waltz across the room to the exam chair for the pap. This was at a couple different docs, so it seemed pretty standard over there.
What I didn't this time was why the U/S tech has us strip in front of her and hop up on the table bare to the wind, and THEN covers us up with a paper sheet. Maybe she should just give you the sheet when you walk in so you can undress behind it. Or wear a skirt on monitoring days so you can stay "decent" till she needs wand access? At least my previous RE had the paper sheets available for you to cover up with if you wanted to and she was usually out of the room while you got undressed (and back turned writing down the results while you got dressed again).
I can see how it would be an awful experience for anyone with a little more modesty than me.
Hope you get some answers soon...
For my first and second IVF cycles, I had a cyst on one ovary. I don't remember the sizes, but the nurse told me that they were okay and would not get in the way.
Communication: I found I had to learn many things on my own. I guess I should talk with Dr H. People who are there long enough, expect everyone, even newcomers, to know what to do. I had to watch other women. For example, the first day I went for my cycle monitoring, I didn't know I had to sign the sheet and sit. I went to the front desk and reported that I was in. I was told what to do.
Sign in & Sit down
Blood & then sit down
Ultrasound & sit down
Nurse - go home
Cost: $500 is a lot when you also have to pay for the cycle and the meds.
Undressing: Last spring, when I first went to the clinic, I undressed outside in those small rooms with the screens before going to do my ultra sound. The IVF cycle was different, I went straight to the room and dropped my pants. Usually the u/s technician turned her back and wrote or pretended she was writing before turning around and I would slip on the table.
I've learned to grab the white paper sheets and cover myself without anyone telling me to. I also don't mind undressing in there as it's quick and I don't have to walk outside without underwear, especially with AF.
I once asked one of the u/s technicians if women lie on the table without the cover and she told me that some women didn't mind and some didn't want to use the sheets.
Some women shave and ready themselves for the wand.
Sorry I didn't inform you. You'll learn the ritual.
I'm so sorry. Back when I was going to the RE they treated me the same way...like I was an idiot when I didn't know what to do, or what was going to happen, or why things had to be done. Umm, excuse me..aren't they the professionals? That's why we pay them all that freaking $$$, b/c if we knew everything already we wouldn't need them! Grrrrr, I completely empathize with you!
I also had a huge cyst after one of my injection cycles, but they just put me on bcp to shrink it. I would definitely ask alot of questions about why they think it needs to be drained instead of just trying the pills first.
I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. Just know that even though it may not seem like it, He has not forgotten you. I love you girly & I am keeping you in my prayers :)
Post a Comment