I wish I had not posted about the soup for Show & Tell.
If I punch the soup's name into Google, my blog now shows up. It is inevitable that someone I know back home will punch in the same words at some point, and then will inadvertently come across my blog. I have enough identifiers in my posts to tip people off about who I am. And then everyone will know about my infertility treatments and my miscarriage and my rantings about annoying people in my life.
I did try removing the soup posts, but it still showed up on Google. So I put them back.
What should I do? Should I start a new blog and import my old posts to it, without the offending soup posts, and then delete the old blog? Should I comb through all my old posts and delete all identifying information?
I tried blogger's option of removing my blog from the Google search listings, but that didn't help.
I also tried inserting punctuation into the offending keywords, to scramble them so they won't show up in Google search, but they did anyway.
:(
Sunday, March 29, 2009
uh oh (re: Show & Tell)
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 12:35 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
That sucks! I'm sure there's enough info on my blog to out me (and piss a few family members off) if people found me out...
I think maybe it will go away when the Google cache gets cleared out? Can you contact Google and find out? I doubt too many of your family members will google about that particular soup between now and then...
"The Cached link will be omitted for sites whose owners have requested that Google remove the cached version or not cache their content, as well as any sites Google hasn’t indexed."
Maybe you can request they remove the cached version?
Though I just tried a mini google search and didn't pick up your blog
What a Mess, OHW. What to do? It seems as though all options come with a lot of work. Do you have the time? This may be your time (a viable pregnancy) and probably it wouldn't matter what's in your posts. Deleting some identifiers may be okay. I've been thinking too that I have too much info about myself and I'm not ready to be exposed yet.
Sometimes I save private info instead of posting. I once hit post instead of save and in no time, my info was out even when I tried to edit and put it into save mode. I guess we have to be very careful. I'm glad that info was not private.
What about starting your own site?
(I have two private domains for other non-related fertility stuff).
I wish I knew what would be best for you.
OH NO! I hope you can do what Kate suggested. Good luck!
I was going to say that you could possibly save the "personal" posts as "private" that way even if they show up on google, when people try to find them on your blog, they won't show up unless people sign in a password that you specify.
Oh so sorry to hear. After you remove your soup post, google may take some time to reflect it. Or you can add a Meta tag in your home page that says exprires as 0, forcing search engines to check for modifications on every visit.
I am a big fan of your writing and have been your blog stalker :-). Hope you don't have to move.
I am also going through my first IVF March/April cycle. Hope to be cycle buddies.
Oh no!
I hope you figure something out. I have no suggestions unfortunately :(
Even if you put a punctuation, the cached details will keep on propping up....
In blogger settings there is an option, by which you can indicate that Google must not be able to go through the blog and list its contents in search results...Check that out...
In case you can't find it, tell me and I will let you know which exact settings option will do it. OK?
Post a Comment