CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Show & Tell

Re: This week's Show & Tell (located at http://stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/2009/03/43rd-circle-time-show-and-tell-weekly.html).

I present to you the surest sign of spring on the Canadian prairies.



I think most people have never noticed this: at the end of winter, the emerging tulip often bursts through the leaves that lie atop the soil. The flower's leaves and stem grow engulfed by these crumbly brown chains, and then eventually shed them. You'll be able to see on the mature tulip a paler shade of green where it was once entangled.

A good sign for my impending IVF/ICSI/AH #2? I wish I could think so, but who knows. I'm trying not to take it literally, but in any case, it's reassuring to know that spring is coming soon after another bleak winter.



Btw: I can't take credit for the picture; I couldn't locate the shot I had, so I found one online (at http://www.bobcongdon.net/blog/2005_04_01_congdon_archive.html).

14 comments:

..al said...

Academia Whore....lolol!

Okay...beautiful sign that...I have never seen that coz I have never seen tulips springing from the womb of mother earth, in reality.

Though I know of different signs which signify spring's inevitable arrival!

You really do not know how to have hyperlinks in your post?

I guess you click on New Post to begin?

Next, you must be seeing a page that lets you type in the title, post text and labels?

If you are on this page, here is what you do to get that hyperlink.

On that big box where you type the body of the post..there are tiny options lining the top of that box.

From your left, the first one is 'b' for bold, and then 'i' for italicizing...the third cutesy is a tiny green globe that has a chain image on it. That is your linky man!

Type in the text and then suppose there is a word Hello on which you want to have the link. All you do is to select Hello and then click on the linky man. Immediately a small script window will open up and ask you to past the weblink. You do that and click OK. Voila! The deed is done!

Kristin said...

Glad to know spring is coming up there because that means we HAVE to warm up soon down here in NC.

Anonymous said...

I noticed our tulip tops about 1 1/3 ago...I do hope that spring brings new life in your next cycle!

Eve

'Murgdan' said...

I love love love Spring. Here it's the daffodils that are blooming...and I'm THRILLED!

GINA and KEV said...

YES! Spring is on her way! And I'm sure it's a good sign for your upcoming IVF. Keep those positive thoughts rolling.

Cara said...

The sun tells me Spring is coming...but - uugh- still massive snowbanks here in VT!

Beautiful Mess said...

Ahhhh spring! I saw the daffodils making their way to the sun the other day. I love seeing the beautiful green next to the brown. Good luck this cycle! Thank you for sharing!

one-hit_wonder said...

Wise: You are truly wise and knowledgeable in so many ways!

Cara: Oh yes, I'm familiar with snowbanks until the month of May! Yuck!!!

JuliaS said...

I just noticed our tulips and daffodils starting to come up through the leaves too . . . :0)

Spring is my favorite!

Thanks for sharing.

Photogrl said...

I always love to see the green peeking through the brown. Spring is just around the corner, now.

Good luck with your IVF cycle!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I just noticed the first tulip leaves this week in the front yard. But through the mulch at the base of a tree :-)

Ali said...

I love to see the daff's in spring we don't have to many tulips by me but I wish we did i love them.

Ali xX

Coffeegrljapan said...

Oh tulips! How exciting that spring may truly be on its way :) Hope that there is significance to the blooming of the flowers...Good luck this cycle!

Anonymous said...

No fair! We've got snow that is 6 feet deep here. Spring is so far away from me.