CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 9, 2009

part III

Mcass: Is it time to re-post my favorite website? Who posted it, Bookie?
Can't remember but I visit it everyday to get my daily chuckle:http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

longday: Nope, that was me, me, me. Glad it gives you a laugh. I haven't been there for a while, but now I must!

Mcass: Ina: I worked with a chick who spelled her name Meri. We got in a big argument everytime I said her name and she would correct my pronounciation: "it's meri". Yeah, I would say, like my name, Mary. No, she would say and try to correct it again. Pretentious, moi? Look, I'm from Cincinnati and there we say Merry Christmas, I'm gonna get Married, and you are SUCH a Mary, all the same way. So get over yourself.
Ok, but in high school, I did legally change the spelling of my name to Mari. I went to an all-girls HS and needed to feel different. Why I couldn't just dye my hair pink, I'll never know.

longday: Ah, lmao here - here's one of his little gems..."For the last 50 years, my family has been naming their children after Southwestern Ontario cities. My brother is Barrie, my sister is Kingston, and my cousin is Markham. I am due in two weeks (it'll be a girl) and I thinking about naming her either York or Orillia. What do others think?
I think it's time for a nuclear strike against Ottawa. (Reader Tom wrote in to suggest that she branch out to include other provinces and name her after this town, the single greatest town in Newfoundland, or perhaps anywhere else. (Warning - link may not be work-safe if you work for your local parish.)" [one-hit_wonder adds: It's Dildo, Newfoundland. Seriously.]

longday: Couldn't help myself. Another gem...
"Hunter Maverick Maarten. My little boy was named after his Daddy. My husbands middle name is Martin, we just chose to spell it differently. ... I wouldn't trade my kids for nothing. God Bless You!
Alright - does it count as naming-someone-after-someone-else if the names aren't spelled the same? Not even vaguely the same? Answer: I does if you're an illiterate hillbilly! No, I wouldn't trade them for nothing. I'd trade them for a new muffler or some possom traps!"
I always had assumed that the author of this site was a guy, but it refers to "her" jaw falling off at one point. I think she's a vet.

Mcass: LD: Careful, you could be doing that all night long. The next is better than the one before. DH and I IM'd them to each other for almost 2 hours one day!

Bookworm: That website so rocks. The whole bit about the trading kids for a muffler or possum traps reminds me of a case my husband worked on many years ago (nearly 20) when he was a young lawyer. It was a sad case, a man got killed on the job because of unsafe conditions, but then it got rather farcical when three different women came forward claiming to be the widow. Turns out the deceased was in a biker gang and they shared their women around. So the "wife" with the strongest claim to the title continued with the suit while the other two faded into the background. During the trial, there was testimony that the deceased had once traded the "wife" (the one with the strongest claim) for a used motorcycle. Plaintiff's counsel objected vigorously: "Your honor, we object to that. It was a new motorcycle."

Irnldy: That's the sickest thing I have heard. Today. Truly you are a twisted soul.
Love the website, makes me feel all normal inside.
Think I should have spelled Sophie
zofee?

Josie: I think that in countries where couples are lucky enough to have access to public funding for some cycles they should feel obliged to name their b/g twins after the Prime Minister.For example that would be Helen and Clark in New Zealand, and Blair and Tony in the UK. It doesn't work so well for Australia, unless you have b/b twins, John and Howard.

Irnldy: Hmm
that means if Canada ponies up, the next two are Stephen and Harper? Even if they are girls? I wouldn't mind Harper, after all, Harper Lee wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird" and apparently she also ran with a pretty 'swell' crowd.
Mostly we have boring white men with very white names. Next time maybe one of the frenchies will win, and I can have a Jean and a Hebert. If I lived in Alberta I could name my kids King Ralph and Senor Klein
Sadly, I live in Ontario. Dalton McGuinty. YEESH.
Husband is from Quebec - Jean Charest (not so bad I guess)

Josie: I think Dubya and George will do nicely for b/g twins, but I'm guessing there isn't a chance that there will be any funding from that direction.

0 comments: