CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

hierarchy in the vet world

A new vet posted on an IVF board that I frequent from time to time.

She said she's tired of people who think they've had it rough when they're 'only' on their second IVF.

WTH? So I don't count? I've been at this for seven years. It has taken this long to get to our second IVF. It's not our fault that the medical system screwed DH and me over. And that we were living below the poverty line until four years ago or so (when we both graduated from our post-secondary programs), so we could not have afforded even Clomid.

I guess it's easy for wealthy infertile women - who also have great access to IF medical care - to slam everyone else.

And then I think: what about infertile people who don't live in the privileged western world? I've read of several countries in Africa in which infertility means something even more serious to women than it does to me, living in Canada. I mean women who can't buy Clomid, let alone IUIs and IVF. Women whose personal safety and security are at risk - and who face horrific social stigma - because they can't produce children.

But according to that new vet on that IVF board, these women would not qualify as 'vets.' Because they likely haven't done even one IVF.

I had a miscarriage - only one I know of for sure - six months ago today. Do not tell me that I shouldn't 'feel' like a vet because I've 'only' had one verified miscarriage. This is not the Pain Olympics.

The hierarchy in all of this is ridiculous.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make a good point. We are lucky to live in a place where our lives are not in danger because of IF. I know it's hard not to compare ourselves to others, and I'm not going to say I never do. In fact, I caught myself doing it the other day talking about my aunt. Twenty something years ago she went through IF. She started trying for kids later in life (40s) and all these years I assumed she used IVF to conceive her daughter. Well I found out she used IUI. When my mom told me she went through an "emotional rollercoaster," I thought to myself, "yeah, but she didn’t even have to do IVF." I realize now that we all suffer no matter what and how many procedures are under our belt. Thanks for reminding me of this.

one-hit_wonder said...

Well, maybe I am contradicting myself here, but I do think that involuntary childlessness, couched in repeated ART failures, is the worst pain ever. Because you know you've tried everything and there's nothing MORE you can do.

What makes it worse it that you're gazing into the future, and not seeing all of life's rituals that everyone else gets. So yeah.

We do all suffer no matter what, I guess, but I am still going to play in the Pain Olympics here and say that we have it worse than someone who is a Clomid newbie!

And I have to add, for example, that I heard recently about an acquaintance who is devastated that it took her a year to conceive her third child. Yes, I just can't sympathize with that!

Victoria said...

Everyone has a different fertility experience and must not be judged as having a more difficult time based only on the number of times IVF is done.

Dora said...

I saw that post, too. I think you should say something. The women on that board are usually very clear that it's not the number of cycles that makes a vet. Yet I know I didn't feel comfortable posting there until I'd had 4-5 cancelled cycles under my belt. You would be doing a service by setting her straight.

Kristy said...

What a bitch! I've never done IVF but I have had 3 miscarriages in 1 year. So does this mean my IF journey must not have been as tough as hers! This makes me seriously angry. Every IF journey is different but one is not more difficult or painful than any other. If she was truly a vet she would realize this.

Kristy said...

I also wanted to add that this happens on miscarriage forums too. Some women think that if you've only had 1 loss you haven't suffered as much as someone with recurrent loss or that 1st trimester losses are nothing compared to 2nd trimester losses. Ive had both 1 trimester losses as well as a 2nd trimester loss and 3 in total so I've been through all the stages and I can say that they all cause immense pain and sense of loss. You can't put a measurable value on the amount of pain and grief someone suffers.

Caz said...

I can't believe someone would be so insentive and cruel.
You make so many good points, there will always be places in this world that probably wont have access to fertility treatments.

We're all human,we will all bleed when we get cut.. i think some people forget that.

..al said...

Ha Ha Ha! So, there is a hierarchy here as well. Damn, me being the leech that I am, I will climb the ladder...YES...you hear me...I will climb the ladder...reach to the top!

I find that point of opinion funny. Nobody is here out of choice. And to have it as a status badge is just awful!