CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 9, 2009

lupron and travel?

Wanna go to the U.S. overnight (DH has bought a second-hand truck cap - so we can go camping - that would have cost us about 80% more in Canada).

But how do I travel with Lupron? (Our motel room doesn't have a fridge.) I'm reading online that other women carry it along in a cooler with an icepack. But how do they prevent it from freezing? It shouldn't freeze if I lay a few tea towels over the icepack, right? Will it stay cool overnight?

I can't find a whole lot of info on this, and since I bought the Lupron through the clinic, I can't phone my pharmacist. (Well, I guess I could, but...) So in the meantime I've e-mailed my nurse.

Just curious to know what other people have done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I have an electric cooler that works really well. It plugs into the car and then has an adapter for a wall outlet that you could use in a hotel. I keep it in my car for grocery shopping since it gets so hot in Atlanta. I have a big one, but I know they sell 6-pack sizes too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to mention. As long as it's not too hot, you don't even need to refrigerate lupron. It just needs to stay below 77 degrees (Fahrenheit). Duh! It should say it on the side of the box.

Anonymous said...

Re: Your comment on my blog

FYI - This is the cooler I have:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_100334____SearchResults

I had one from years ago that finally quit, but it was the same model. The only drawback is now they make you purchase the wall adaptor separately and it's not cheap, neither is the cooler, but well worth it for me. I was able to use my old adaptor so I didn't have to buy a new one.

My nurse told me not to refrigerate lupron or gonal f, weird. I verified it about 100 times because I was so nervous it would spoil. But I do make sure the house doesn’t get too warm. It doesn’t hurt to refrigerate it though especially if it will be in a hot car.

Emily said...

Instead of taking the whole kit & caboodle with you, they sell travler kits for diabetics that might work. just load up your syringes that you will need and there is a carrying case & it might come with a cold pack? ive seen them at target...

thanks for the support - good luck!

have fun!