CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

worries

And so no, I did not sleep, and did not catch up this morning, either, since I was worried that I would miss the inauguration stuff on TV. lol I'm very obsessed with African American history/culture/literature - have been since I was a little critter - and so I must see this event on TV. I was so excited that Obama was elected.

Anyway, my advisor wants me to call her this morning. Urgh. I have a phone-phobia, first off (don't ask me why - I don't know - I just prefer talking to people in person). Second, part of her message has something to do with my difficult professor I used to work for. My advisor really wanted her on my committee, and I kept side-stepping that idea, and found someone else who was more suitable (in terms of both temperament and research interests). The prof has Asperger syndrome, or something like it, and is impossible to work with (needs control of everything, is the passivest-aggressive person I've ever met, has a a hard time reading social cues, needs things repeated ad nauseum, asks me repeatedly to do work that I've already completed, expects me to read her mind, etc.). She can't keep any research assistants. But she is very, very nice. I am worried that my advisor wants me to phone this lady - I know I'd get suckered into working for her again, and I'd hate it. Our work styles just don't complement each other, since I am also meticulous about my work, and I don't need to be baby-sat in order to do a good job. (I do work well in a team, but only when my peeps and I have a mutual understanding that no one can be the controller: we have to work together. I'm ok with that, and enjoy it, actually.) Siiiiigh. More things to worry about.

I'm an anxious person, in case you couldn't tell. Partly due to nature, partly due to nurture. This TTC garbage doesn't help, either.

Speaking of which, I e-mailed the nurse at Hannam to ask about the atrocious prices. She says they're priced higher because: a) it's a private clinic, and b) it's success rates are much higher than average. So now what should I think? Their posted IVF success rate (meaning a clinical pregnancy) for my age group is approaching 70%. Other clinics are at around 50%. But what does that mean in our case? I don't know if I trust statistics, anyway, especially in the infertility medical business. Is the extra $$ worth it? (Especially since I'd have to pull it out of my a$$, somehow.)

Anyway, must get back to work. Gotta hammer down on my thesis.

0 comments: