Did you all hear that that mother of octuplets already has six other children? I haven't seen any mention of father or fathers, of course, since everyone (including the media) likes to blame mothers for everything. But woooooow. Six other kids. I'm not blaming her for obviously wanting a large family (except that is harsh on the environment). But man. Wow.
And I just read today that one of the grandparents confirmed that the woman had used IVF for the octuplets! Whaaaaaat?
I hate this story so much, honestly. As I wrote yesterday, it's feeding public misconceptions about infertility and assisted reproductive technologies...on so many levels. Including the following notions:
- All 'infertility' is repairable.
-Infertility is always the woman's fault.
-First you do Clomid, which will give you high-order multiples. If Clomid doesn't work, you move on to IVF, which will give you even higher-order multiples, since your RE will 'implant' 12 'eggs.'
-Related to above point, in case you didn't get it already: All women who do ART have high-order multiples.
-All women want high-order multiples.
-All infertility doctors want their patients to have high-order multiples.
-All said high-order multiples are premature but healthy.
-Cost? What cost? None of this costs that much. I mean, if you want/need ART, it's just something you go and do. And so what if you end up with a litter? The hospital will take care of them, and that doesn't cost much.
-Everybody lives happily ever after, mommy stays home and breastfeeds the litter, daddy goes to work, and everyone's in their rightful and correct and appropriate place. (And welfare hasn't been tapped yet, but wait until the kids start on solids...)
Friday, January 30, 2009
more about the octuplet case
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 11:58 a.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I was in total shock when I heard that the parents of the octuplets actually had 6 children...including a pair of twins. I conceived twins through IVF on our 4th round. When trying for a third child, our RE pointed out the incredible possibility of having multiples again, since I had already conceived and brought twins to term. If you have already had a set of twins, your chances of having another set of multiples goes up to around 35 to 45%. What fertility doctor would allow a patient to undergo such aggressive treatment who already had "proven" fertility? Certainly there is some malpractice going on.
I completely agree with you that this story has given the media & people the wrong perception of infertility issues. I am however completely disgusted that she already had 6 kids, underwent IVF, and lives with her parents!!! It sounds like there is not father involved, I don't know for sure, but if there's not I don't understand why this lady would go through IVF being a single parent w/ 6 kids, living with her own parents??? Am I alone in wondering this? I'm sorry it just kind of makes me mad. We can't even have ONE!!
chicken: I agree completely. Or maybe she was doing do-it-yourself treatments with drugs bought online. ???
britt: I'm disgusted, too. I'm trying not to be - I know I shouldn't criticize women's decisions about their family sizes - but come on. She can have 14, but you and I can't have even ONE each? But who do we get mad at for that? :(
R.O.F.L.
Post a Comment