Today I hired a doula (a birth attendant). Doulas are tough to locate around here - they don't advertise - but I found out about this woman through a friend.
I interviewed her back in November and then couldn't decide if I should hire her or if I should go with someone my midwife had already worked with. In the end I chose her because she came highly recommended by my friend, plus she is a certified paramedic.
My midwife really wanted me to have a doula, particularly because I am planning a home birth. Midwife is really non-interventionist, low-key, and no pressure - so if she said I should have one, I thought I should do it.
Research backed up my choice. Apparently the rate of medical intervention (drugs, c-section, etc.) dips significantly when a doula is present at a birth.
DH is highly relieved about having her at the birth. Part of her job will be to keep him calm, to help him help me, and to let him know when things are going well even when I seem crazy. And if he can't make it back in time for the birth, he can rest a bit easier knowing that I'll have two midwives and a paramedic with me.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
doula
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 6:15 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Congrats on netting another good hand....
The days are so close by now!
Post a Comment