As I’ve been mentioning from time to time, I am planning a home birth. I hope that it works out. I wasn’t too sure about it at first. Although I knew that – in my uncomplicated case of pregnancy – a home birth was just as safe as a hospital birth, if not safer, my intuition was saying otherwise.
I try to follow my gut – and my midwife encourages ‘mother’s intuition’ – and so we started off planning a hospital birth. The hospital would likely be okay, anyway, since it’s got nice private birthing rooms, including pools, showers, squatting bars, birth balls, birth stools, etc.
Gradually, as I continued to inform myself about the differences between hospital and home births – and to learn about the slippery slope toward drugs and c-sections that can occur in hospitals – my mind began to change. (I was aware, too, that my ‘intuition’ was likely being influenced by the still-prevailing idea that hospital births are always the safest kind of births.) And then I decided on a home birth. I think that’s the best place for the baby and for me. We live only a few minutes from a hospital, anyway, which helps. And I know that my midwife will watch diligently for any sign that something might go awry, in which case she will not hesitate to recommend a hospital transfer.
I thought that DH would be opposed to my choice but he has been hugely supportive. He trusts that I’m doing thorough research and that I’ll make a decision that’s in the baby’s best interest.
I’ve acquired just about everything I need for birth at home – the list of things to get was surprisingly long: everything from an aquarium net to a bath pillow to a shower curtain to Gatorade. I still have to pick up an extra bedsheet because I have only one for my bed.
I hope this home birth plan works out. We’ll see what happens.
Happy New Year to you all. For those of you waiting for your babes, may 2010 bring you the fulfillment of this dream. xxx
Friday, January 1, 2010
staying at home
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 4:53 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Cool, I hope that works out as you are planning. Will you write the birth story on here at some point afterwards? I'd love to hear (read) it. :)
I think that if you (or anyone)has an uncomplicated pregnancy and you don't have unusually narrow hips and/or a giant baby, the majority of births ARE uncomplicated and you'll do fine. But I must admit, Im glad to hear that a)you are near a hospital, should you need one and b)that your midwife and other birth attendants will send you there, if necessary.
Anyway, hopefully your DH will be present for the arrival of your child, and hopefully the child will arrive smoothly and quickly in your home!
I'm so jealous! I would LOVE to be having a homebirth. It will be wonderful!
Have you read any of Ina May Gaskin's books? She is a Tennessee midwife and has written a lot on homebirth. Her stuff is great.
Thank You...and Happy New Year too!
I hope the home birth goes smoothly!
Wishing Ninja and you and DH and your midwife and doula, all the very best!!!
BTW, I keep forgetting to ask this question....
Why does your u/s tech not reveal the gender of the baby? Is there some law in place for this in Canada, or is that just a norm?
Post a Comment