CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

no, baby hasn't arrived yet...

I’m getting tired of our families e-mailing, phoning, and texting us to see if the baby is here yet. Right, because I gave birth and forgot to tell anyone? I sound mean, I know – they’re all just excited for us – but I feel very private about this experience (ironic, considering that I’m writing about this topic on a public blog … ) and I will not, as one of my nieces did, announce on FB that my water has just broken.

My parents texted yesterday to ask if my contractions had started. I gave a smart remark for an answer. Not content with that, my mom phoned this morning to ask again. I skirted the subject. We are in the hub of the area where our family lives and they all know we’re aiming for a home birth and so – well, you can imagine the nosiness. Plus the people in my culture are nosy, anyway. They will have to wait until we have news to share. I have asked my midwives and my doula to park their vehicles down the street so that no one who drives past our house will realize that I have ‘company.’

Other people are texting us, as well, and we’re ignoring the messages. Otherwise, when I really am in labour and we stop answering texts, people will figure things out right away. We don’t want them to. And so we’re already disregarding messages. It’s such a game. All I want is some privacy – to hopefully have a momentous home birth for which we’ve waited years and years – and then I’ll be okay.

But DH is thinking that, when Ninja arrives, we really won’t tell anyone for the first few days. We want to relax, get used to things, establish breastfeeding, and hang out together for 2 days before he has to go out of town. I’m all for that.

I haven’t been able to get a hold of my midwife to ask her about natural labour induction – we keep missing each other on the phone – and so I sit here, waiting, hoping that my husband will be around to witness the first few days or weeks of our baby’s life.

1 comments:

..al said...

Maybe now I understand the silence...I am so glad it had such a beautiful end to it....