A few weeks ago I read a book about attachment parenting. I don’t know why that approach to parenting needs a name. It just sounds like common sense to me. I didn’t need to read it to know that I want to hold the baby as much as possible (with the help of a sling), breastfeed on demand, co-sleep, etc. But I’m glad that such a book exists because there must be people out there who don’t know that this approach exists.
I was not parented this way. If anything – and I don’t mean to slight my mom and dad by saying this – I was raised with the use of detachment parenting. I: was formula fed, slept in a crib, was left to cry it out when upset, was spanked when I did anything wrong, and usually played alone. (Although, paradoxically, when I was a teenager my parents nearly smothered me and I resented it because I was used to being alone and having to do most things for myself.) From what I understand, most of what I’ve just described was normal parenting for that time and I’m pretty sure that if my parents were to do it all over again, they’d be different.
I don’t like it. Of course, I know I’ll have to be flexible with my approach to childrearing – I can’t fall into the trap of parenting dogma because every child is unique – but it makes far more sense to me to believe that babies need to be breastfed (when possible – please don’t think I’m judging women for whom bf’ing doesn’t work!) and that they need comfort and companionship.
Of course, I think many people approach impending parenthood by thinking about everything their own parents did that they don’t want to do. I know that’s what I’m doing here. I think this is inevitable behavior, for the most part, although I think we risk going too far on the opposite side of the spectrum if we’re not careful. E.g., my parents used a detached style of parenting and so I think I run the risk of swinging the pendulum too far on the other side – I don’t want to be overbearing and smothering and too easygoing.
All I can do is be conscious of my parenting, to try my best, and to accept the fact that I will make mistakes. I know Ninja will have plenty of complaints about DH and me and that if he ever has children, he will also vow not to be like us! I'm ok with that.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
attachment parenting
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 6:17 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
I just wanted to say how excited I am for you to be so close to meeting your little Ninja! I see that your ticker now says "9 days left" - that was the day I went into labor with my Lexie. I know that you'll be a wonderful mother, very thoughtful and caring. I hope everything goes smoothly with the birth and that you enjoy every minute with your little one! Good luck, sweetie!
Love,
"Daisy
As you have mentioned, try not to overthink it or get hung up on "IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY!" You do what feels right to you and if something you wanted to do isn't working out as you'd hoped, you change things. I think if I had to sum up parenting in one word, it would be "flexibility."
I don't worry about what my parents did or didn't do. I have a good relationship with them, and it doesn't matter now what they did 30yrs ago. Plus, it's a different situation. In my case, that's obvious--my parents didn't have twins. But for anyone--your parents were in their situation and you are in yours. You can't really compare.
Anyway, I know you will be a fine mother, however you go about it. Make sure that whatever you are doing makes/keeps you happy too---as the old saying goes, if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I mean that in the "do what you need to do to avoid PPD" way, not the "foist off your responsibilities on someone else so you can go out and party" way. I hope that makes sense!
An example: I've seen too many women having trouble with BFing and hating it, hating themselves, feeling like failures and getting into a vicious cycle of self-doubt and depression. (Im not saying you'll have any trouble BFing, just pointing out a common example.) Anyway, the important thing is for baby to eat, and formula isn't poison, and a woman who chooses to formula feed, for any reason including "to save her sanity" is NOT a failure. That goes for any aspect of parenting really.
Anyway, not long now!!! You must be SO excited! I can't wait to hear the birth story and name of your upcoming child!
Wow, I can't believe you're so close to meeting your little one! Seems like not so long ago that we were meeting for tea during stims :)
I'm planning on snuggling all I can with my little one too, but won't be sharing a bed with her. I've read somewhere that sharing a family bed increases the risk of SIDS, but sharing the room with them (having them in a cosleeper or bassinet near you) is the safest. I guess we'll be playing it by ear too.
I wonder what the other methods are besides attached and "detached"? I know one friend followed some method where she got the kids on a strict schedule - always ate and slept at the same time. It was supposed to make them calmer and get them sleeping through the night earlier, and it really worked for her. I would think that might be necessary if you had a whole lot of kids or needed to work, but with your first child, you'd have the luxury of scheduling less, I would think. How long are you going to be home, do you know?
Just wishing you all the very best for Ninja's arrival....do post whenever possible.....take care!
OK - where are you? Is your baby here already? Boy or girl? So eager to hear your news!
I'm hoping to find a balance that preserves my sanity while allowing for maximum attachment. I won't co-sleep, for example. I'm too light of a sleeper (and there's no room in our Q bed for two babies anyway). Also, with twins, it's likely one is going to have to just cry sometimes--I can only do so much. But I do want them in our room, and I hope to breastfeed, and the rest of it just seems like OF COURSE!
And yes, much of my parenting plans (most older) are based on what I don't want to repeat from my mother.
Flipping out with excitement/curiosity...hey, what's up???
Sending you lots of positive vibes.
Be good.
Heard the news from the Turtle Girls!!!
Congrats on your little girl! I hope you are home now or soon, and that everyone is healthy. Im sure you are tired, but I hope you are also very excited to finally have met your daughter!
Can't wait to hear some stories about the baby and maybe even see some pics?
Post a Comment