CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 11, 2009

prenatal class

I keep forgetting to mention that we did end up having a prenatal class. You may recall that it had been cancelled but our district made an effort to provide at least a condensed class. Much to DH’s joy. Haha.

I must say it was a waste of time, at least for me. I’ve been reading a ton of books and asking other mothers for advice – and I watched The Business of Being Born – and so I feel that that’s as prepared as I can get. How ‘prepared’ can you get for such a hugely momentous event, anyway?

DH needed the class, though. He’s in panic about labour and delivery. He’s a farmboy and so it’s not as though he hasn’t seen animals being born but he says that that is different than witnessing his wife giving birth. He has avoided coming into contact with any information about what’s normal about human birth. It was good for him, then, to see the birth videos the nurse popped into the DVD player! He turned white – which he denies – but at least now he has seen women giving birth normally in positions that do not involve lying flat on one’s back.

I was surprised to see that, of the 14 or so couples present at the class, we and another couple were the only ones going with a midwife. I don’t know if the other couples are using doctors because they want to or because they couldn’t get a midwife or because they didn’t know they had the option of working with a midwife. I feel so happy to have my midwife.

0 comments: