CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

pondering the heiny flu

Media hype. What to believe? What not to believe?

In my case: piggy disease. Aka: H1N1. Or, as DH terms it, 'heiny flu.' ('Heiny' meaning 'bum.' And then he laughs hysterically.)

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

Phoned up the midwife. One of my questions, which hasn’t been addressed by the media, is: what was the socioeconomic status of the pregnant women who’ve died from H1N1? – because if most victims were impoverished, of course they’re more likely to die. Confirming my suspicions, she said that most pregnant women who’ve died from this flu are those who were poor (i.e., living in substandard housing, eating poorly, drinking unsafe water) and/or were immuno-compromised to begin with (e.g., recurrent bronchitis). I am neither.

She also shared info on the vaccine’s ingredients, and said that if I decide to get it, I should go to my family doctor, who has the mercury-free version.

Overall, though, she didn’t express a preference one way or the other. All she asked was that I make an informed choice, because she didn’t want me to get vaccinated if I had doubts in my mind.

So now I’ll have to do some more research.

I’m getting nervous about this decision, especially since I work in a germy environment. The custodians do their best to clean and disinfect, but come on, we’re spending time with icky teenagers who sneeze on everything and share drinks and kiss each other. Today I had 10-12 students out sick.

Wonder what they’ve got.

I also asked about Ninja’s reduced movements as of late – he hasn’t been much of a ninja! – and she said it’s normal, since he’s getting less space to move around. So I’ll keep an eye on it, and if I’m not comfortable, I’ll go in so she can check things out.

3 comments:

Michele said...

So far, we havent been recommended to get the H1N1 vac, but have been recommended to get the regular flu vac. Which we will. Dont want the babes getting sick from us!

IF Optimist, then... said...

OK. I am going to mention one thing that made me seriously consider getting the flu vaccine.

From what I have read, pregnant women are 4 times more likely to end up in the hospital with this flu. Also I suggest looking up the information and statistics on pregnant women who get any type of flu, having your temperature spike for several days is never a good thing for baby.

Asking your midwife's opinion is a good step, but I would also investigate by asking an infectious disease doctor who knows about the ramifications of influenza specifically in regards to prenatal care. The march of dimes has a good article on this as well. You can find it here if you are interested:

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_57994.asp

You are at very high risk due to your job and I just wanted to give you some extra info to make an informed decision. Just my 2 cents. End rant. :-)

Sara said...

Glad to hear the lack of movement is just normal. You asked me about the vaccine... after that episode I had a few weeks ago, I think I probably will get it. I don't think I can handle that again. There have been several kids in my area that have had it, and a pregnant woman not far from here died from it. Tonight they ran a special on the evening news about a man who had to choose between his wife or daughter (she was 6 months pregnant!) It's scary I know that much!