CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

names

DH decided last week that he didn’t like any of the names he picked out, so now he says that I’m supposed to create a short-list, and he’ll choose the winners. In theory, this sounds good, but I know he’ll hate everything I like! (Plus I'm a little disappointed that he didn't want to use the name of his deceased father, but I understand that would be too hard on DH to have a kid running around with his dad's name.) So we’ll see how that goes.

I don’t care for most names in general, which I know sounds odd, but it’s just that most names are so ... common ... and anything unusual often sounds strange, plus people make fun of it. That said, DH tends toward the traditional, and I prefer unique names. (We do agree, though, that we don’t like trendy names. So Makayla and Zachary are out, no offense.) I hope we can meet in the middle by finding atypical names that aren’t outlandish.

In the end, though, I don’t really care. If DH is hung up on a certain name that I don’t like, I’ll deal with it. Whatever. I just want a baby to attach to the name.

5 comments:

the misfit said...

What about some not-too-hardcore Biblical names? They're traditional (and sometimes unusual) but still have a place in the culture. English names are good too (for boys; French for girls, I think). I know you didn't ask for nominations, but I am going to provide some just for kicks. You don't have to pay any attention at all unless they actually help with your decision and then you don't have to tell. Also, I vote you continue to call the child Ninja post-partum. (I am assuming that the child's native language will be English.) Five boy and five girl, because you don't know yet, right?

Simon
Nathaniel
Theodore
Maximilian
Gabriel

Meredith
Rebecca (too common?)
Helen
Jacqueline
Genevieve

(Don't worry, I'm not giving away any of my names - my DH and I have a big name negotiation problem, and only Helen and Maximilian might make the cut for both of us - but they've both been stolen by friends recently.)

..al said...

Makayla is a name?

A FB friend recently posted his horror about a friend naming his newborn ------ BINDIGO!!! As in Banana Indigo? Banderas India Go?

Hope the beautiful baby to come has a beautiful name...All the very best!

Anonymous said...

Can't you just name the child "Ninja?" That's unisex. :)

--Supermouse

Anonymous said...

How about using FIL's name as a middle name (assuming Ninja's a boy)? That way you honor him, but it may not be as sad for DH. I know it's a little backwards, but maybe having the middle name picked would make choosing a first name a little easier. My DH is a junior, so I knew I wanted to use his name (or a derivative of it) as the middle name if we had a boy, and that kind of helped us. Granted, we were still debating between two names while in the delivery room, so thank goodness Lexie was a girl as we were in complete agreement on our girl's name. Good luck debating names! It's so much fun...

- Daisy

Sara said...

LOL! We've been through who knows how many sets of names! I think we've finally decided - but that being said, I bet we change again! :)