CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 4, 2009

in-law is as in-law does

My mother-in-law has that way – as only in-laws do – of creating a special moment and then squelching it. lol

DH and I went to visit with her, and she was talking about how, when she gave birth to her children, it had to be in a hospital. She was required to be on bedrest for 10 days, which was protocol at the time, and she wasn’t allowed to see her baby except for hospital-determined breastfeeding times.

Can you imagine? Ridiculous, I know, but those were the times. The details she gave were fascinating, especially to me because I’m interested in the history of motherhood.

DH asked her a question about what his dad did when he came to visit her in her room. She laughed and said, “He never saw my room! As soon as he came in, he’d say, ‘Let’s go to the nursery!’ He always wanted to see his babies, even though he wasn’t allowed to hold you.”

DH melted.

Then his mom said, “Oh, you’re going to cry when you see your little baby for the first time.” (Which would have been true IF she hadn’t just said that!)

DH: “No, I won’t.”

Mom: “Yes, you will.”

DH: “Did Dad cry?”

Mom: “No, I don’t think so. Well, I don’t know, the hospital didn’t let him be there.”

DH: “Well, now I’m for sure not crying. If Dad didn’t, then neither will I.”

And now he won’t.

I know my MIL didn’t mean anything by this, but man, a sweet moment turned to stone, just like that. Now DH will be focused on not crying – even though I know he’ll have the urge – when our baby makes his grand entrance.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Haha, in-laws are amazing like that. That's one for the baby book :) Hopefully he has other thoughts crowding that resolve out of his mind when the time comes.

Michele said...

That sucks... Dont you wish some folks could just leave well enough alone?