In the vein of Guns ‘n’ Roses’ upcoming album, Chinese Democracy – and I can think of many other examples to illustrate what I’m about to say – democracy among involuntarily infertile women ain’t gonna happen. (Although I do hear that G ‘n’ R’s disc is finally scheduled to drop next week, after a 10-year wait. lol) Although I don’t see democracy as the be-all and end-all of political systems, I thought for the longest time that infertile women did experience a real kind of democracy, one from which we all benefited.
I believed:
- that we were all equal in our trials;
- that all of our voices were, therefore, equally valid; and so
- we could all minister to each other regarding our collective pain.
That was a dumb creed. Partisan politics are at work here, just as they are elsewhere. What I’m thinking of, in terms of the infertility wars, is the newbies versus the vets.
To describe newbies, I cannot do a better job than Tertia. Here is part of her infamous ‘IVF Barbie’ post, which is frequently copied and pasted to infertility boards:
Newbie Barbie: Newbie Barbie, also known as BabyDust Barbie is a bright, perky Barbie, filled with optimism and confidence that IVF Will Work. She is thinner and usually younger than the other IVF Barbies. Her accessories include rose-tinted spectacles, a positive bank balance, healthy insurance coverage and a million questions. Newbie Barbie has lots of other Newbie Barbie friends and they congratulate each other on a job well done. This Barbie only says pleasant, optimistic things and believes that Attitude is Everything. Their motto is Think Positive!!
Re: vets, here is a description from Tertia:
Veteran Barbie: Veteran Barbies are the Anti-Barbie. They are a whole lot plumper than the Newbie Barbies, less perky (in boobs and attitude), have grayer hair, a largely negative and over-drawn bank balance, plenty of bruises and marks and a slightly cynical attitude. They are dressed in comfy track pants with elasticated waistbands. Their accessories include a wealth of knowledge of reproductive procedures and protocol, the ability to practically do their own cycle, a snarky attitude, little tolerance for stupidity, a well defined sense of humor, the ability to laugh at themselves, a fondness for wine/beer/crack and a aversion to pineapple, baby dust and Newbie Barbies. This aversion in its more severe form can be allergic and acerbic. Veteran Barbies tend to swear quite a bit (especially when playing in the Barbie House with Newbie Barbies and Pregnant Newbie Barbies) and parental guidance is advised.
All infertility, apparently, is not equal.
Newbies look up to the vets, yet of course do not believe for one moment that they’ll ever be ‘like that’: that cynical, that old, that unsuccessful, etc. Newbies want endless assistance in deciphering their cycles, and can’t understand why vets are too tired and unwilling (and too filled with Lupron/Suprefact) to help, and why they are so sensitive! Why, they wonder, must every post in infertility chat rooms be labeled ‘m/c mentioned,’ or ‘success mentioned,’ or ‘pg mentioned’ (or any combination thereof)? Why can’t they just say whatever they want? “We’re all in this together!!!” Etc., etc.
In the meantime, although vets remember their own days as newbies, they’re too damn tired of it all; they’re just trying to cope. But when you reach your personal breaking point, they are listening; they get it. They’ve saved you a seat at the bar, just in case.
Nevertheless…
Boxing Match Royale: Newbie versus Vet
Announcer #1: “Well, here we are in Infertility-Land, witnessing a battle of epic proportions between the shiny Newbie in the blue corner and, in the red corner, the much more established and experienced Vet. We’ve seen countless rounds thus far, and who knows how the battle will end?”
Announcer #2: “Well, you’re absolutely right. Throughout this longstanding rivalry, we've witnessed many ups and downs. The Vet certainly has experience in her corner, and nearly knocked out her opponent in the last round when Newbie sprinkled baby dust all over her head. But, as we’re all aware, Newbie has her young age on her side, and so she pulled herself off the mat and rained retribution all over Vet by getting pregnant and then slugged her in the face by chirping, “See, you just have to believe, and it will happen!” Vet is ready to strike a blow … let’s see what will happen!”
Terrible, I know. It shouldn’t be this way.
I don’t know exactly where I fit in on the Newbie-Veteran TTC spectrum. I’m definitely no newbie. I’ve been in this TTC battle for over six years. I’ve been through PCOS, 4 rounds of Clomid, one injectable/IUI cycle, and one IVF, plus the HSG, hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, etc. Only one chemical pregnancy to show for it, plus a new diagnosis of severe male factor. Many vets will laugh at this list, as it’s not much. I’ve spoken to women who’ve tried to conceive for 20 years, who’ve endured dozens of medicated cycles, miscarriage after miscarriage, stillbirths, burst tubes, screwed up endometrial linings, OHSS, near-death experiences, and more. Sometimes I feel embarrassed for feeling like a vet, since I haven’t done nearly as many cycles as most have. The partial reason for this is because I’m Canadian, and due to the hugely inefficient structure of infertility care in my particular province, I haven’t been able to do any more than that. In SIX whole years.
E.g.:
-It took 12 months to get my intake appointment with the first RE.
-Another 12 months to complete the most basic of basic diagnostic testing.
-Another 12 months to get an appointment with the second RE.
-Etc., etc.
I was a newbie at one point. We were all newbies. So I know I should be nice – and I am really a nice person in real life – but I can’t take ‘newbie-isms’ anymore, such as:
(((HUGS)))
I’ll pray for you!
Just think positive!
It only takes one!
It will work!
I have a good feeling about this!
You will be a mother someday! God wouldn’t put this desire in our hearts if he weren’t going to fulfill it!
*Baby dust!!!*
I bought into most of this stuff for years – as I said, I was once a newbie, too – but I’m finished with it, and felt this way even before the first IVF. I don’t actually get mad about people saying they’ll pray for me – I appreciate that, still – but I can’t take the other comments. I feel more on the vet side of things now. Yet I haven’t gone through nearly as much as a vet.
So I’m in a liminal space right now – a doorway – and not sure what my political stripes are. I used to love posting on SoulCysters, but now, after my miscarriage, I see it as more of a Newbie venue. I can’t take the hope there anymore. It kills me, since I have dozens of wonderful friends there. I miss them terribly; they haven’t done anything wrong. I just can’t take the hope on SC anymore. And it’s impossible for me to deal with the friends who got pregnant at the same time as me: I cannot handle hearing about everything I’m missing out on, and don’t know if I’ll ever get to share. So I’ve stayed away.
I’ve been hanging around a bit on the Vet board of ivfconnections.com, but am unsure about my ‘vet’ status, and don’t want to be laughed at or yelled at for not being a real vet, so I don’t post much. I think they’d be ok with it if I did – they seem like really cool, smart, funny women – but I just don’t know. I miss my Mutant girls on SC.
I don’t know what this liminality makes me, in political terms. An independent? Fat lot of good that does. Just warming a seat for no good reason at all.




3 comments:
I read this and laughed because I feel the same way too sometimes. I love your views on things because they are so right in your face and truthfull. Love you and remeber you can always vent to me!
I am SOOO happy you decided to start blogging again! I seriously missed your wit and truthfulness. I am sorry that I have said many of those things you listed to you on several occasions. Please forgive me if they were hurtful, annoying, whatever...they were never intended to be anything but supportive & loving. I truly know how you feel when it comes to this infertility crap, I wonder all the time if it will ever end. Well, I love you girly, I hope you know that! :)
Aphro: You know I luv ya! ;)
Britt: Oh no, I don't think you could hurt anyone's feelings, even if you tried - that's the honest truth. You're too sweet for that.
I'm glad you're reading my blog, too. I haven't looked at yours in a few months - can you pm the link to me on FB? Luv you, too!
Post a Comment