Fast update. I'm so far behind.
--Working on the house. Cleaning and repainting the interior.
--Haven't really started prepping yet for teaching. Don't have time. This is bad. But I still have 3 weeks until the first day of classes.
--Haven't had time to finish thesis, for a variety of reasons. Thumbs waaaay down.
--Employment Insurance (which is a government program into which most Canadians pay) is denying DH's claim, even though he was honest and did everything to the letter. Basically, since he's setting up a business, the local EI folks told him he wasn't allowed to look for work until he finishes writing his business plan, but today the federal EI person who called said that he WAS supposed to be looking for work all along, so they denied his claim. So we have no income until I get paid at the end of Sept, and we haven't had a paycheque since June. (He was entitled to 39 weeks' worth of paycheques, which we now have to kiss goodbye.) I just cried about that all morning - I'm so pissed about it - and DH is very overtired and grumpy, which doesn't help. Plus my SIL was there, and her cheery response was: "Don't worry, the Lord will provide!" That made me even more upset, since DH did everything legally - even though he could be working under the table and not paying taxes - but now he doesn't get insurance money that is rightfully his because of a miscommunication at the EI office. So it was easy for her to say that.
But baby is good, and that's the most important thing. (And physically I feel great.) I don't feel him a lot yet, but it's so cool when I do. For a moment he was really busy last Sunday; it was like popcorn bubbling in my womb. Made me laugh and then cry with joy.
Am starting to get his room ready. He won't be in it for a long time, since I'm planning to co-sleep for a year or more, but I figured we should prep and paint since we're doing all that to the rest of the house, anyway. So DH, as we speak, is painting the walls a medium-dark tan and the trim/doors a bright white. I want to decorate the room with orange, turquoise, and green. Good for a boy or a girl. The colour combo will be very modern and 'hip baby.' I don't really want it to look too 'babyish,' if you know what I mean, because I'm not into murals and other things that will have to be changed in a few years. I do want it to look beautiful.
What I'm setting up, basically, is a Montessori nursery (information about Montessori can be found in The Joyful Child). Maria Montessori was an amazing educator, doctor, and philosopher who had many influential ideas about childhood development, many of which I'm borrowing for the nursery. Everything must be tactile, safe, beautiful, and accessible. Cribs aren't used, so as not to hinder the infant's exploration of her immediate environment. I found out that my SIL used a Montessori nursery for her four children, and she loved it. Also, I discovered that another SIL is planning to use this method when she has kids (and she was surprised to hear that anyone had an actual label for it, since she says that in her culture that's what everyone does: co-sleep for a few years, then use a mattress on the floor).
At any rate, I'll try Montessori for the room's design, but if it doesn't work for our kid, I'm willing to go buy a crib or a Pack 'n' Play. I'm flexible. And just so you know, I do have a lot of experience with infants, so I'm not completely delusional. lol I've cared for newborns (i.e., baby-sitting) since I was 10 years old, and often overnight. Yes, since I was 10 years old! Isn't that crazy? I was a very responsible kid, though. Am not sure that I'd allow any 10-year-old to care for my baby, though!
Thursday, August 20, 2009
stressed, but have my eyes on the prize
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 3:38 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
That sucks about the EI. It's not fair that so many people abuse the system and that makes it harder for those that want to use it properly.
I can't wait to see pics of the baby's room.
Can you appeal the decision? That seems so unfair!!
Uggh! Sorry about DH's work stuff. But seriously when you get pregnant something is bound to go wrong somewhere else in your life. I don't know why that happens, but it seems SOMETHING always falls apart at the same time. Praying for you, Steve, and the ninjanite! :o)
Im sorry about the unemployment issues, that really sucks.
I've never heard of a Montessori nursery and Im curious to see how that goes, you'll have to update! It sounds like it will be beautiful. We kept the boys' room fairly simple (blue walls, which I'd have used for girls too, one crib each, a dresser/changer and a bookcase. There are colorful curtains on the window and a tan and blue area rug.
I love being in their room---it smells nice and is a peaceful place. I put them on the floor and let them roll around all the time. But we didn't do cosleeping and the boys are way safer in their cribs at this point. They do roll around quite a bit, and even if we took everything out of the room but the essential furniture, they'd still be bumping into things and possibly getting stuck under the cribs or something. We've tried to put them down for naps at friends' house on the floor (no pnp or cribs avail) and N fell asleep but G seemed to have too much freedom and couldn't fall asleep. He had that problem in his crib for a while and we had him sleeping on a changing pad in his crib, as a sleep positioner. He seems to be thigmotactic.
They always seem pretty content to be in there, as long as its naptime/bedtime, and will often wake up and talk to themselves for a while, before fussing for attention from us. they do get plenty of time to explore their environment when it's not sleeping time---often we put them down together on the floor with some toys. (or just some trash---plastic cups are a favorite toy, mail and paper plates are good too.)
Anyway, I think its great to let them explore, but (and Im sure you know this) just be hypervigilant about babyproofing. Mine can't crawl yet, but they can move some and we make sure there aren't any choking hazards, etc in reach. Im all for the boys learning about everything through trying to eat it, but some things just shouldn't go in their mouths!
Post a Comment