CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

not baby-related; just venting

I'm feeling as sour as expired milk.

We moved into our new place, and my family DIDN'T HELP. Not one iota. Even though most of them work in the town in which we're living! And even though I'm quite pregnant and couldn't paint or lift heavy boxes! I asked for assistance and was even turned down by my SIL, and my parents only sent a weak offer to help AFTER we had already cleaned, painted, and moved our stuff in. (I even asked my dad if he'd help me with just the baby's room, since he's quite artistic and I thought he'd enjoy painting and decorating with me, but he said he didn't have time in his schedule.) I'm so hurt and disappointed.

Yet, my brother and SIL will want our help with their house, plus my parents will want our help this fall with shingling their house and butchering a hog or steer. Well, normally I'd be the first person there to lend a hand - I usually do all the cooking for the crew - but now I'm too busy. And that makes me even more upset, since I hate being that way! If someone wants me to help, I want to be there! But I'm putting my foot down. I'm going to be too busy now, too.

Almost all of DH's family, on the other hand, showed up throughout the week to clean the place, paint the main floor, move our belongings, and unpack. Every day. Nobody asked them to come; they just did. Even his brother and SIL who are in the middle of HARVEST, for goodness sake (when it's harvest, it's harvest - most people on farms don't do anything else at that time). It was embarrassing to try answering their wonderings about where my side of the family was. (Um, I don't know...) Anyway, thank goodness they were so charitable to us, and I hope I can return the favour one day.

Then today I found out that my schedule for work has changed and NOBODY TOLD ME. I just happened to find out when I e-mailed my new principal to clarify a detail about my courses and he mentioned it in passing. Oh, and I'm teaching 4 classes (full-time), not 3, as I had been told! (But only getting paid for .875.) What???????? School starts next week!

And ... still no final decision from EI on DH's status. They keep flipflopping, and everyone says something different. I have forbidden DH from talking to any EI people on the phone or in person. All correspondence must be done via e-mail, so as to keep a written record of who is saying what. In the meantime, I'm going to have to pull our first mortgage payment out of my a$$.

If you made it to the end of this post, thanks. I have to blow off steam, but have no one around at the moment who has time to listen to me. I'm worried about the effect my stress is having on the baby. :(

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow! I'm so sorry your family wasn't there for you. That seems very strange. You really don't need all this extra stress and I can't believe that people would refuse to help a pregnant family member. Again, I'm so sorry.

Clare said...

Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time. Nothing hurts more than when your own family let you down. I think you need to tell them when you feel ready. And what's the deal with your job, they need to pay you for all the classes you teach. It is frustrating. Take a deep breath and have a long bath, with candles. Hugs.

Mommy & Daddy to Twin Monkeys said...

Im so sorry your family wasnt around to help out!! Especially with you expecting ..
((hugs))

Michele said...

OMG!!! Well, first, because I'm mean, I'd say DONT HELP when people want you to help them move. I mean, they blew you off pregnant for Pete's sake! That is terrible!

And school and your hubs... Ugh... What added stress. I am so sorry!

loribeth said...

I'm sorry too. If they're happy to see you back home, they could have at least helped. :p

Sorry too about dh's EI. They've made it practically impossible for most people to collect, it seems. I was on EI (UIC, back then) when I first got married. I quit my job to get married & move to Toronto, & lived on UIC for the first 7 months or so while I got used to my new life & job hunted. I would never qualify under the same circumstances today. They're more than happy to take my money, though, it seems...!