CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

17 weeks

I'm wondering a bit what to do about buying baby gear. I'd rather not buy anything until after the baby comes, but obviously that's not practical.

Problem #1: With a full-time teaching position about to start, I know I'm not going to have much time in the late fall to pick up the stuff I need.

Problem #2: I won't get a paycheque until mid-September. DH still has not received an unemployment cheque, and probably won't for another month, thanks to the federal dimwits at Employment Insurance (they keep saying he's missing paperwork, though he brought it in 6 weeks ago). And he can't start his business, either, until he gets approval from said dimwits. So we're living on the credit card.

Problem #3: Baby-gear-buying should take place 4-6 weeks before baby arrives, but that will be Christmas time. Holy broke-ness, Batman!

Problem #4: My baby shower will occur 2-3 weeks after baby arrives (as long as all goes well). This makes no sense to me, but that's the custom around here, so apparently that's what's going to happen.

I'm not planning on spending a bundle on the baby - e.g., I'm happy to use second-hand items, I'm not making a formal nursery, and I probably won't even buy a crib - but apparently we'll still need to shell out more than just a few bucks. lol

I have decided to make a list of bare essentials - which is still a long list - and to purchase a few items every week until we've got what we absolutely must have; e.g., medical supplies, car seat, snowsuit, etc. Also, my MIL is making the diapers (and hitting up second-hand stores for snow gear) and SILs are also thrifting and making a few items (e.g., one is sewing all the receiving blankets, which will be hilarious because I picked out a baby pirate pattern with skulls and crossbones).

Today, I bought the following items: Vitamin D drops (essential for winter newborns in the Great White North, as people are telling me), organic diaper rash cream, Ivory soap, and a fast-acting thermometer (since I doubt that my 3-minute TTC thermometer will do the trick). Good things to start with, no? Not a huge investment, but they're all necessities, and in the event of misfortune, they can be returned or given away.

So I got home and mentioned to DH the following: "I started up picking up baby stuff. I also filled up the car." He gave me a panicked look, which I found odd, since even though we're broke, he's never been a penny-pincher. I added, "Well, I wouldn't have had enough gas to get home if I hadn't!"

But this is what he heard: "I started picking up baby stuff and it filled up the car." He imagined my little car bursting with strollers, cribs, high chairs, and what have you. Hahahaha! It took a while for his heart to stop racing!

1 comments:

Amy said...

The story about filling the car is hilarious!!

I dont' know what to tell you about buying stuff. It is traditional for Jews to have a post-baby shower, rather than a pre-baby shower as well, though it worked out that I had one of each.

Why wouldn't you buy a crib? Can you get one from someone in the family? You don't need it immediately, but at some point, it's a good thing to have.

Anyway, hand-me-downs are the way to go to save---just get a new carseat. We have a LOT of hand me downs, and haven't had any issues wtih any of them.

If your family and friends don't have enough stuff to cover you, do you have a Craigslist for your area? Also, are there any twins clubs in the area? Twins clubs often have baby gear/clothing sales to fundraise, and they are open to the public, so that might be a good way to get some stuff too.

Im glad you are feeling movement--isn't that a very cool feeling? It's like you are never alone. I did miss that feeling in the weeks after the boys came.

Anyway-good luck!