CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

omega 3

Am doing more research on Omega 3, and am impressed by our need for it, especially since it affects fertility-related things such as hormone production, blood clotting (it acts as a thinner), and DNA.

This is what I just read (it's research-based, with lots of journal references): http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

Apparently we need somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4 mg/day. Although I do get a lot of Omega 3 (through dietary sources), it's still not enough. Every day, I get about 1 mg through hemp seed in my cereal, another 1 mg in my salad dressing, and another bit through fish, green veg, and other sources. But I need more, and so does DH. So I guess I will add flaxseed to our diets - it tastes good, anyway - and I will try to include more salmon (meh) and even more green veg, like brussels sprouts (yuck).

So....recipes, anyone? I love fish, but dislike salmon, and I hate greens like brussels sprouts, collard greens, and kale. But I prefer food to supplements. Our bodies absorb nutrients better through food. Food=medicine.

Am wondering, too, if the increased intake of O-3 would help my chronic whiplash pain. Maybe it would help reduce inflammation? That would be wonderful.

ETA: I would eat this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Alaskan-Salmon-Chowder/Detail.aspx

1 comments:

Britt said...

You may have to e-mail me & remind me, but I will look for some good recipes for you!! I love to cook & it runs in my blood (dad was a chef, mom is great cook, sister went to culinary school) :)