CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Updates, part II

On Tuesday I had my first midwife's appointment. It was great. It was an hour long, and she was very relaxed, which I appreciate because I am the kind of person who really dislikes being rushed. And in terms of care, I get to decide whatever I want; e.g., I'm not getting weighed because I don't want to worry about gaining weight. I'm eating a variety of healthy food and drinking lots of water and milk, so I think I'm fine. I like the amount of control I have with a midwife; I imagine it would be different with a GP or OB, but I don't know.

And I might decide to do a homebirth. I'll talk about that more at some other point, since that's a post in and of itself.

Best part was that the midwife used the doppler - after I swore up and down I wouldn't get upset if she didn't find the heartbeat - and it worked! But then DH was tickling my feet and making faces at me, so I started laughing, and the baby ran away, so the midwife couldn't find the beat again. DH said the baby has ADHD, which would not surprise me at all, given his genes. lol

I go back in a month, and at that point I'll get a physical exam.

_________________

And my own doppler arrived that day. I tried it out, and it worked almost immediately. And then DH was miffed that I didn't call him into the room so he could hear it, too, so I did it again. I think he's glad I bought it. This morning, though we were running late, he got me to use it for a few minutes while he laid down to listen.

_________________

And now the creme de la creme. I've been exposed to both swine flu and pneumonia. My poor little niece has both, and I was with her 3 days ago. She was sitting on my lap and we were sharing food. Plus I was hugging her and kissing her head, etc.

I heard about the diagnosis last night, and DH took me to the ER to get checked out. The doc says I'm at risk, definitely, but that I can't worry about it too much because they can't do anything about it; i.e., they won't give me medication unless I can't breathe.

Urgh, just another thing to worry about. But I feel fine so far. I sure hope my niece is ok, though. I talked to her this morning on the phone, and she sounded awful.

_________________

Ok, next post I'll write about how we told our families. We did it earlier than planned because the midwife said that the second trimester started at 12 weeks, and everything was fine - plus my bump is growing - so we decided to share right away.

10 comments:

Michele said...

I think the care depends on the school of thought of the practitioner. Our OB supports home birth and natural birth (he was recommended by our midwife). But I agree... I love the midwifery model of care. Just love it. And I'm so glad you had a good appt! So exciting!

But I was mortified to hear you were exposed to swine flu, etc! You must be terrified! It just feels like one more thing, I'm sure. But I'm also sure everything is going to be fine. Hopefully all that good food has beefed up your immune system!

And yay on telling your fam! I'm sure they are thrilled!

Michele said...

Oh, and I forgot, I love homebirth!!! LOVE THEM!!!! I've attended and really wanted one for us. Perhaps one day, although I doubt it given our history. But I think they are absolutely wonderful!

Britt said...

Yay, yay, yay for everything!!! (except the swine flu and pneumonia part) Praying that those nasty bugs stay out of your system! Can't wait to hear all about how you told your family!

Kate said...

Hope you escape the bugs
and so glad your appointment went well and
so glad you have the doppler! Magical!

and mexican mennonite? no kidding-- that felt like a tongue twister!

Hope you get the place with the land, or a place that calls to you just as much
and
Happy 12 weeks and new clothes and cute belly.

nice to catch up with you and wishing you well,
Kate

Clare said...

Hope you don't get the flu! Im sure we're all bound to get it at some point - i think i may have got a dose of it while in Paris being around so many tourists! I was really sick for a day or two. On the home birth front you should definitely do it - I've done loads of research on it and have got some great reading material for you if you want some recommendations!

Kate said...

Yay! I was ready to kill you for saving midwife appointment for part 2, when the internet connection was acting up and I couldn't comment on part one either.
Glad things are going so well!

Victoria said...

I like how you poke fun at your DH (when the baby hid and you mentioned ADHD).

..al said...

Both swine flu and pneumonia? Oh no! Firstly I hope your niece is recovering well from it...this is serious!

Secondly, I like the fact that you are comfy with your midwife....have no right to tell what you must do, but in case you go for a home-birth, I hope you have had all the risk factors checked out [...and if you think Of Course, is she stupid to think I would not, then I am sorry, it just kind of struck me]...

Have fun with the doppler...Good wishes to you and Ninja!

And I am all eager to find out how your family reacted...they must have gone Woooow!

the misfit said...

Saying a prayer that you don't come down with either illness and the ninja is untouched. Looking forward to the family-telling story!

IF Optimist, then... said...

Popping in a little late (back from vacation) to wish you well. I hope your little niece is doing fine and doesn't have any complications. I hope you are feeling well too. Your trip, clothes and a home with acreage sounds great. I hope you get a place you love.