CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Updates, part I

Ok, the trip back home went well. We didn't take the interstate because we were pulling a U-Haul, so it was almost relaxing. Lots of nice scenery - lakes and beaches and trees - but sad because I didn't realize how economically depressed Michigan was. Lots of abandoned buildings on the most pristine land you can imagine.


So we drove and drove. Stopped for lunch, first, at Aylmer in Ontario, which has a fine Mexican-Mennonite cafe, and listened to the local radio station there, which is always a riot. Then crossed the border at Sarnia and went on from there.


I guess my big news from the trip was that I went ... gulp ... maternity clothes shopping at a Motherhood Maternity discount outlet. I did not want to enter, but DH kinda pushed me in there. I almost burst into tears at first. Was very shy and uncomfortable. But the sales person was very kind, and helped me out without ever being pushy. I must have tried on 100 different items, but settled on a pair of jeans, a tie-dyed orange t-shirt, black vest, blouse, and rainjacket. All for $120. And it's true - maternity jeans are super-comfy. Plus I bought a U2 t-shirt somewhere - it's my consolation prize, since I'm missing their world tour again!


I also went to DSW shoe warehouse to buy 2 pairs of shoes, since I didn't have even one pair to wear to work. All I have are snowboots and flipflops. So I got aqua BCBG flats and cherry red Chinese Laundry wedges - all for $60. Nice!


DH loves the new clothes, oddly. He usually hates my wardrobe. While I was modelling the threads for him, he commented, "I can't believe your belly already. It's so cute!" :) He rubs it all the time.


Anyway, it's kinda different to be back home. Some things are different, and some things are the same. I am getting bitten to death by mosquitoes again - yuck! But it's ok.


I just got my teaching schedule, and I'm excited about it. I'm teaching English as an additional language, Later Literacy, and some mainstream English classes. So I will have mainly small classes, hurray! People will feel sorry for me, I'm sure, because I have mostly 'lower level' learners, but I don't care about that. I like working with kids who hate reading and/or have trouble with it, because I can usually change their minds. It's hard work, but I'm pretty persuasive.


And we're looking for a house to buy. We have a lead on an acreage in a decent location. It comes with 200 acres, which would be terrific to own, since the rent we'd collect on it would pay the mortgage. We were preapproved yesterday for a mortgage, too, which will help us find a place faster.


More in a bit!

4 comments:

Kristy said...

I'd love to see a pic of that bump!

Michele said...

I bet you are adorable in maternity wear! Yay! I still get a sick feeling when I walk into a maternity store. But our local Motherhood Maternity in the mall is nothing but pushy! So maybe that has something to do with it.

I love U2!!! I commented to Peter the other day that one day, I will see them live!

And I think your teaching is wonderful. Your students are so lucky to have a teacher who truly wants to help them learn.

Jackie said...

200 acres sounds pretty amazing. House hunting is one of my favorite things to do, so I hope you're having fun with it too and that you find the perfect one!
Just curious: Where in Michigan did you go through?
Oh, and I'm glad that you're confident enough to buy maternity clothes now! That's a great feeling now that the clothes are in your possession, I bet. And, just maybe, the anxiety will be gone next time. :)

..al said...

Woohoo for enjoying the trip so much! And if you like who you teach, there is nothing to be said about that or acceptance of others' comments on it! You have to love what you do, or there would be no point of pursuing it so much anyways..

Enjoy your hubby-Ninja-me time!