Genetic counsellor today was a frickin' waste of time, as dh and I expected. Also surreal, since both the counsellor and the doctor were at least 6 months pg. Of course. *Rolls eyes*
Anyway, as we were aware, there is a small (very small) risk of that 'Mennonite disease': hypophosphatasia. Or something to that effect. (Sounds like a really bad Disney movie! lol) But to me, it wasn't enough of a risk to warrant the testing until/if we need IVF, in which case I'd want the results in order to do a preimplantation genetic diagnosis.
We were also informed about the cause of death for our stillborn niece, and although it was a genetic problem, it wasn't something for us to worry about, as it was the result of a spontaneous mutation (did I say that correctly? I don't know). Anyway, just not something to be concerned about in terms of dh being a possible carrier. Rock on.
The counsellor also told me about other in utero screening (e.g., for Down's, spina bifida, etc.), but we're not into abortion or selective reduction or whatever you want to call it, so that didn't really apply to us.
So that's that. Good to get it over with.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Genetic counsellor (um, 'pregnant' with expectations?)
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 11:37 a.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment