CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 17, 2010

pcos=milk oversupply?

ah, this makes me feel sour, no pun intended!

i knew, going into motherhood, that my pcos might result in an undersupply of milk.

however, for the first 6 months of ninja's life, i had an oversupply of milk. it led to her copious daily vomiting, lost sleep (because she'd throw up once or twice before nursing to sleep), and other things such as me leaking through everything all the time.

with the help of jack newman's breastfeeding book, i realized - FINALLY - what the problem was and i figured out on my own how to fix it (i had to pump once or twice a day until i was dry - then feed baby).

today i happened to come across research suggesting that in women with pcos, an oversupply can result (and in a rather large percentage!).

AGHHHHHH. would have been good to know that going into all of this! i mean, i'm glad i had too much rather than not enough but it would have been nice to avoid it by being proactive. but breastfeeding isn't exactly out-in-the-open common knowledge and so how would i have known that?

3 comments:

Michele said...

It's funny, I had an oversupply for the first 2 months, then just broke even for a month, then nothing. But I just try to remember to be grateful that the kids got breastmilk for their first 3 months. That's the most important thing to me. :)

..al said...

Well, I did not know that! Thanks for it.

Amy said...

Yeah one of the twin moms I "met" on SC had this issue also, which led to a massive freezer stash.

I had the opposite issue...not enough to feed two at once.

Still, even if you found out a little later than was ideal, at least you got it sorted! :)