CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

dear baby

Dear Ninja,

I don't think I've ever taken you for granted, not when I first dreamed of you years ago, not when you were swimming in my ocean, not now when you cause me sleepless nights.

I feel cursed because I can't relive the first months I've had with you in my arms. Despite soaking in every moment, it wasn't enough.

People whose babies come along easily do not know what I mean. They look forward to reliving their experiences through the next baby. If they miss a day, it's okay, it doesn't matter because another one will come along.

There's a good chance that there will be no next baby. You are the baby. You are so wonderful, I want another one of you. But the doctor who helped us make you told me that I have only a 15-25% chance with a double transfer.

"Could be 15, could be 25. It's hard to say. It's a crapshoot. All the labs in the city are having problems with FETs. I don't know what our stats will be for this year," he said.

Your dad was taking care of you in the other room; you were crying because you were supposed to sleep and you didn't want to. Your dad says your problem is that we love you too much and that, as a result, you can't bear to be away from us; that's why you can't sleep.

I was shattered. I thought surely our chance would be at least 30%. Even a 'normal' couple gets a 20% chance every cycle. I must have heard wrong. I asked again and the answer stayed the same. (For even the one below-average embryo we transferred a few years ago, I heard 13%.)

Just to attempt this, I have to save at least $2000 for the procedure (plus money for a week's worth of travel for the three of us), wean you, go through more blood tests and ultrasounds, take a week off to fly to the big city, and then endure a dreaded two week wait to find out if we are successful.

The worst part is the weaning. If I were a normal person, I'd let you breastfeed until you decided to wean. I already don't know how I'm going to stop you from nursing, especially at night. And it is a special part of our relationship, no matter how hard it is. Should I stop breastfeeding for a baby who likely will not happen? I'd be short-changing you.

***

What if you ask me for a sibling and I can't give you one?

***

Being pregnant with you was so wonderful. What if it never happens again?

All my regrets from being pregnant. I didn't get maternity pictures done. I was too afraid that photos of my burgeoning belly would jinx everything.

***

Today I was wearing a maternity top I bought a few weeks ago. It works for nursing and it was on sale and so I thought, "In case I do get pregnant again, I'll pull this out in the future, as well." I can't think like that. I took the shirt off.

Went out. Reminders everywhere. Maternity clothes. Creed's song 'Arms Wide Open.'

You and I are supposed to go see my friend tomorrow who is due any day and I don't want to; I don't want to see her belly and hear her complain about her discomfort.

I held you and kissed you at every opportunity. That's nothing new. I do that every day. I tried to be even more conscious about it, though: holding you, kissing you, and knowing that every day with you might be the last one.

Every day is the last, in a sense. Today, for instance, was the only September 15th 2010 in my life that I will ever hold my seven-month-old baby in my arms.

Love,

Mama

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh my, are our chances really that abysmal? We're in exactly the same boat with four frozen. Now I'm despairing of ever having another, and convinced I'll have to do another fresh cycle at some point. Boo.

Victoria said...

I'm counting on the FET success stories and hoping that your FET will be a success story.

Nice letter, though. Too bad you don't have maternity pics.

I'm one of those parents who wish I could have had more of those "moments" with my son as a baby. But, should have, would have, etc. is too late now.

..al said...

I love the letter, OHW!

I am not glad with the success rate probability your doc gave you...but I want you to know that Ninja is lucky to have you as parents, as lucky as you are to have her.

I don't know what the future holds, now do I want to make a lazy guess...but I hope and pray that your dreams be fulfilled...