CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 17, 2007

So I can still blame all this crap on bad genes, right?

Dh's stillborn niece did not have 'The Mennonite Disease,' although the doctors were convinced that that was the problem. I was so relieved to hear that. Strange, the macabre things that make TTC'ers relieved.

So we have to wait for my dad's results from the genetic testing that was done when my cousin, who did have 'The Mennonite Disease,' was stillborn. He doesn't know if he's a carrier because he never got the results. I'm less worried now, though, since dh is in the clear, so that lessens our chances. I was becoming paranoid that dh and I were the unlucky receipients of the crappy genetics jackpot.

This 'Menno Disaster' is actually called Hypophosphatasia; it has many forms, but it seems to involve uncalcified bones. Babies in utero who have it are always stillborn. 1 out of 25 Manitoba Mennonites has the recessive gene, and 1 out of 2,500 births involves a baby with this dreadful syndrome.

Interestingly, as I was perusing scientific research about this, I happened across a medical study out of The University of Manitoba which examined the unusually high prevalence of diabetes and other such metabolic disorders in the Manitoba Mennonites. PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is so near and dear to my own heart) wasn't named, but that would definitely be included in this framework. So I can still blame all this crap on bad genes, rights?

As for other headlines from the frontline, I just finished my last Provera pill, so I'm expecting af on Tuesday. That means that I can do my CD3 baselines on Thursday. That's the first time for this procedure. My last RE was not nearly this careful. Suffice it to say that he was not the most thorough doctor in the history of reproductive endocrinology.

0 comments: