I got my first RE appointment last Friday! I waited for six months for this.
I spent most of the afternoon there. I was on CD39, with no o in sight.
Of course, af arrived in the middle of today's pap smear. *rolls eyes*
Anyway, they said that I won't be able to start a medicated cycle for at least two months. I just about started bawling in the office when I heard that. But they're doing much more comprehensive testing than my last RE did, including genetic testing for cystic fibrosis and for a deadly syndrome that is prevalent among the Manitoba Mennonite population (since both sides of our family carry the genes). They're also running much more extensive bloodwork than I've ever had. And they are going to do the 2 hour GTT, which amazed me because all of my doctors in Manitoba refused to order that test for me.So I figure that if the reason for the delay is that they're being extra-careful, then that's a good thing and I can be patient for a little while longer.
Their preliminary thoughts are that there's a subtle disruption in hormones and other such bodily chemicals that is affecting my fertility, and that my previous doctor missed it. But they were very impressed with how I've been managing the PCOS so far, though, which made me feel good! It's been hard work, but it is worth it!
I've been switched from Metformin to Glumetza. Met doesn't seem to do anything for me, and I've been on it for 18 months, so they want to see if the Glumetza is more effective. And they prescribed a prenatal vitamin with a higher dose of folic acid. Apparently in Canada the recommendation for daily folic acid for pg and ttc women has gone from 1 mg to 5 mg!
Next step is injectables and IUI. So we're looking at February, possibly, for that.
I did like the new RE (and her assistant, who is also a resident infertility specialist, actually). They seemed so thorough, they encouraged my questions, and they liked it that I was researching so many infertility issues on my own.
I felt bad for dh being in the room during the RE appointment. I mean, it was unavoidable, but still. He was there for the pap smear and the 30,000 questions. Looked like he was almost in tears. He whispered to me when the doc left for a moment, "I can't believe you have to go through all this. I'm sorry." And when we both had our bloodwork done, he turned white as he watched the nurse take 8 vials of blood. He'd never, ever had blood drawn before! Isn't that crazy!? So the nurse got 4 vials off of him, that little whiny weenie! I love him! LOL
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Finally, finally, finally, with kudos to the amazing (not) Canadian medical health system...
Posted by one-hit_wonder at 9:48 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
I've missed you!! I'm SO glad you finally got to see the new DR and you are on your way to becoming a mommy!!!!!
Post a Comment