CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 17, 2010

infertility: beginnings and endings

I've talked before about where infertility histories end. I don't think they do ever end. Even though I've turned out not to be infertile - it's my husband who has that dubious honour - and even though I have a gorgeous daughter who ought to make me forget all the pain, my scars remain prominent (although they feel different now because when I hurt I have my Ninja to squeeze). I still ache at pregnancy announcements. I'll never stop wishing that I had a 'normal' conception story - that I woke my husband early one morning with a squeal and a still-damp positive pregnancy test.

But where do our infertility histories start? Does it start when you don't conceive immediately? Or with the passage of an unsuccessful year of trying? Or the first visit to a specialist?

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions here. Sorry to get all philosophical here, but the assumption that the story has a beginning and an end is not the way in which stories are seen anymore. Our stories are fragments, whisperings, leaps from here to there. Infertility is no exception; our history with it swirls inward on itself.

Jackie over at Beyond the Brick Wall wrote an interesting post about her infertility history. It's a reminder that, as another poster commented, infertility is "the culmination of a lifetime of experiences that for almost every little girl has revolved around becoming a mommy one day." Please read it.

3 comments:

..al said...

I read the post you have referenced in your previous post....and I am reading Jackie's post right now.

I did squeal (in sheer disbelief, and 'what is that' sense) when I woke up and did get to try the last HPT I had stocked at home...

I don't know when it started, but I hope this saga does not fall into the lives or fertility history of my children. It must end with me.

Victoria said...

I like your post. It makes me wonder or causes me to think about all this fertility stuff. Is there really a beginning and if there is, when did it begin? For you, did it begin when you married your DH or when you decided to try? Questions, questions...

Amy said...

Thanks for putting links to this and the other one (Positive thinking equals positive pee?).

I don't think about my IF every day, but sometimes, it pops up in my mind for whatever reason and I realize there's some bitterness there, that will never go away.

It breaks my heart to read about other women dealing with IF, who don't get their happy ending. I couldn't imagine my life without children, and it makes me feel raw when I see another woman who couldn't imagine life wo/children living it.

I know I can't help these women, but I wish I could. I still think that I'll become some kind of volunteer educator/peer leader for an IF support group someday, when the boys are a little older. Maybe it's a way to make a small difference for someone.